AUCKLAND FISH SHOPS

Billaney

Hi

I'm thinking of taking a trip to Auckland at easter and would like to know from the locals which fish shops are the best, say top 5-6 to visit.

Also i have heard there is a good one in Rotarua, anyone know that one ?

I'll be looking for fresher water not marine. :D:D

Thanks

Okay, here's my list of all the Fish Shops I've visited in Auckland - they all have their good points & all worth a visit.

Pupuke Aquarium Centre, Lydia Ave, Birkenhead - the only that is dedicated just to fish (I think).

Hollywood - 36 Frost Rd, Mt Roskill & Albany (get the address from Mt R)

Jansen's - 985 Mt Eden Rd, Three Kings & Cnr Porana Rd & Cherry Lane, Glenfield. There's another one at 12 Amera Place, 371 Ti Rakau Drive, Botany that I haven't been to.

Massey Pets & Aquarium Centre - 406 Don Buck Rd, Massey.

Bird Barn - 158 Lincoln Rd, Henderson.

Many more I'm sure, just never been to them myself.

i liked pupuke

both Hollywoods, they each have different fish so found it worth going to both.

for the type of fish i like i preferred both Jansens over the brindge, Silverdale and North Shore. although both others have good fish departments, with some different fish. strangely price varies between the stores.

there is a fish shop in Hamilton which is meant to be good too, but didnt get to go as closed sun/mon

and there is tropical blues in Tirau on the way to Auckland.

i have also heard Waterworld in Rotorue is good, paradise road, not been though

hope that helps

plecs

I popped into pupuke aquarium on Sunday for a wee bit.. the guy in there was most helpful, given all I bought was a breeding trap and some filter wool.. nice collection of fish, and somewhere I'll definitely be including on my wanders around the fish shops in future :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there, the place in Rotorua is called Wonderland Aquarium and Pet centre. The guy that runs the place is called Arty!, and he is great. I bought fish from there recently. Don't accept the [rices on the tanks, hit him up for a deal. HIs fish are very good quality and he is very knowledgable. I will certainly be going back.

I wouldn't noramally recommend shops because of the prices, but I have no problems with the fish I have purchaded off him. I have bought from breeders all over the top half of the north Island and encountered everything from worms to parasites in the fis. There is one person I know I will never buy from again.

If you a ever in Hamilton also check out the Gold fis Bowl. he doesn't have a huge selection but his fish are also great quality. The guys name is Brian, he too is very helpful.

Wonderworld* :wink:

and yes it is a great store, not hard to find, its on the road to go to paradise valley i beleive. they have everything from pretty salt water eels to clown knives, africans, goldfish, and some cool fancy cories.

tropical blues in tirau is also good but is a smaller store