How to get this healthy again?

the-obstacle

My nano has been neglected for a very long time. Hasn't had a water change or been topped up for about 2 months. I've killed an awesome coral that nymox sent me :facepalm: :tears:. I've just upgraded the standard 20W power compact light that comes with the blue planet classic to a nano LED unit.

The photos show the algae outbreak I've currently got. I can't tell if the bubble things are corals or bubble algae as they're not green and they have a line down the middle of them. There's also a big black snail thing which must have tagged along with the live rock I got from nymox too.

img8403o.jpg

img8394e.jpg

img8395by.jpg

img8402s.jpg

img8401j.jpg

img8400.jpg

img8399a.jpg

img8397.jpg

img8396r.jpg

I'm off to collect some NSW this afternoon and will do daily 10% water changes for the rest of the week. What else should I do to clean up / control the green algae? I'm hoping the bubbles aren't algae but if they are please let me know.

Did the rock get the hair algae on it since you put it in the tank? If so it should go away in time as it could be doing a mini cycle from being moved around,

Get rid of the apastasia anemone in the second to last pic asap the longer you leave it the harder it will be to remove it before it spreads

• 2 weeks later...
They do look look like red bubble algae. Maybe botryocladia perhaps. How long has it been growing in the tank?

Yeah, that's my diagnosis too. They've been there for about 2 months. I'm slowly trimming them off with water changes.

Here's today's update - it's getting a lot better after a week of daily water changes. There's a lot more coraline algae growing and the hair algae is dying off. I've moved the leather up to a nice position with plenty of light and no direct flow and it seems to be getting better - it's got polyps that are opening up and until today it was reaching for the light. It now seems to have split in 3 at it's base so I'll see what I can do to attach each piece in a good position to get it to attach more permanently.

img8526z.jpg

img8527c.jpg

This is now only a temporary tank as I've put the order in for a rimless cube, some DIY LED lighting and a skimmer. I've got the NSW collection sorted too - weekdays at Takapuna the boat ramp is empty (don't even think about it on weekends) which makes it easy.