Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm looking for a way of reducing nitrates (other than constant water changes)

I have no sump and don't want a deep sand bed.

Anyone in New Zealand bought a denitrifying filter or anything else that has actually worked

If so where did you get it

Cheers

Posted

DapDap. I see your in Wellington too, there are a few of us (10ish) with tanks etc. Maybee we should hook up at some stage, have a look at each others systesms etc.

Water change the nirtates will take a lot of big water changes, but you will get there. Just try feeding a little less perhapps? Not sure how big your system is, how much rock, how big the skimmer etc but all of these things help. I have 0 nitrates (0 on the test kit...). Big skimmer, lots of rock, water changes, low bio load from fish and little feeding is what I am doing. YMMV

Good luck

Pies

Posted

I converted my fluidised sand bed filter into a sulphar bead denitrator then plan to pass this into an aqua medic chamber full off CaCo3 to buffer the water and add ca.

I would stongly recomend sulphar bead over aquamedic system, i have used one of these, it worked quite well, but the denimar (food) will be very hard if not impossible to get in NZ

HTH Ben

Posted
but the denimar (food) will be very hard if not impossible to get in NZ

you mean in addition to the denimar food you get with an aquamedic nitratereductor. the deniballs feed the bacteria for up to a year after that anyway.

Posted

If you are interested DAPDAP i have two of these units brand new at my work can do them at probly 50% off :).

I would still go for sulphar though.

P.M me if you are keen and ill give you my details.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...