New pet shop opening in Kapiti!!!

Squirt

I saw it near placemakers and Repco area, was too slow on the job application though :P :facepalm: &c:ry it had all the tanks set up, a few of them too, wonder what kind of filtration their running, and if their opening soon shouldn't they have cycled the tanks already? All very exciting!! Finally someone has replaced the old one!

Wow we actually only have 1(this one opening will be the 2nd). I believe this one will be called Kapiti Kritters near place makers. The only other one running of my knowledge is the pet house at coastlands. It seems to have downsized and looks more empty to me. The one at the beach down the same road as foursquare has shutdown a few months ago. This one that is starting, hasn't even cycled their tanks yet. No water in the tanks but it is looking good :thup:

I'm not sure, I was talking to my mate(Colin is his user) and he applied a day too late, it started to take applicants on the 07/09/11 must've finished pretty quick maybe 16th? She(the owner) said she had heaps of applicants, so maybe one of the employees will know about fish and can actually help unlike the current LFS...

I went for a drive up kapiti ways in the weekend and kept an eye out for pet shops but only saw Pet House. Has anyone else been in there lately? Their tanks looked awful, there were so many fish with ich and the tanks looked so grotty. I felt so sad for the fish :(

+1 totally agree, I went on Sunday it's pretty damn useless, hopefully the new pet shop will fix it fingers crossed :D

In defense of the Pet House, what do you expect in a recession? He is not stocking much because no one is buying! The only thing that keeps him going is pet food sales. Ich happens especially now with the changes in temperature and I am sure he is on to it. Surely he can't be that bad as he keeps a really nice marine tank but no one buys marines from him. If you support local pet shops they will be able to carry more stock, instead we are seeing large stores like Mitre 10 stocking pet products and putting the small shops out of business and you certainly won't get knowledgeable staff there. I think it is great that there will be a new pet shop but I very much doubt that it will do that well.

Sorry but I regularly go in there maybe once a week or two weeks. The fish are sometimes sick, and cramped and just on Sunday I saw half, yes half a platy floating around in a tank with plates, minnows and corydoras. It must've been there a while... Also I don't think it's that great of an idea to have 30+ neons in a tank no bigger than 60x30 most likely a lot smaller than that. They do help occasionally and yes he is very polite and great service. I think he needs to focus a bit more on the maintainence. I think the new pet shop will do well because so many people are detered from buying from the pet house because the fish are kept in poor conditions. I mean it costs very little to do a water change on those tanks.

I was in there about a month ago and all was well. Yes the tanks are small like most pets shops and I can't remember what sort of filtration is in them. There is usually only 1 person manning the shop due to lack of sales I guess and remember there is no money in fish. Deaths happen and I am sure he would remove a dead fish if he was advised. I have seen far worse pet shops than that one. i would imagine that most dedicated fish keepers would buy on here or Trademe and we will gradually see all the small pet shops disappear because of this.

LOL Zayne it is so easy for fish to pick up whitespot when transported and pet shops usually get orders of fish every week. It is not always apparent when they arrive that they are sick. His tanks are not dirty and I would be far more concerned about this shop:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages.aspx?id=788616&topic=19

Yeah, it's full of that black bubble stuff! Looks like tar bubbles to me :P and the one closer to the back has little stock now, and the front one has green like tentacle things no not coral starting to take over it... Also goods are over priced there. An aqua one(I think)CF1200 was over $300 there :dunno:

• 5 weeks later...

:bounce: it's now open. Not much fish stuff but a bit. Nice tanks, he showed me the sump, was quite big bigger than 3 of the tanks. Turtle banks are cheap as chips I'm going to have to go back and buy one :thup: and an air pump. Good shop, they have a blue tounge which is going to grow out of the 60x45x45 enclosure but it's only about 20cm at the moment.

Go check it out!