Quick lvl 1 maths graphing question

Squirt

Hi

I've done some study last week or so for my maths mocks tomorrow. I have a question about graphing

If you have a table

Eg

X Y

1 5

2 14

3 27

4 44

And you have to find an equation for this I know you get ax^2 + bx

Ie

Difference of

14-5=9

27-14=13

44-27=17

and difference of all of them is 4

So there is two jumps giving you x^2

but how do you get the whole equation? Is it just trial and error?

my daughter has the same calculator and she got

y=0x^2+1x-5

try going from main menu into STAT and then putting in x into list 1 (1,2,3,4) and then y into list 2 (5,14,27,44) and then pressing F2 which is CALC and then pressing F3 which is REG and then F3 which is X^2 and it will give you what a,b,c are for y=ax^2+bx+c

see how you go with this. Thats how she would do it. She is not sure if it is right though.

Yeah I could do it in my head but it'd take longer than what it would on the calc. I'm pretty average at maths and have gone straight excellences this year :thup:

That is good, although with maths you should always be aiming for excellence, as any thing less is disappointing.

You should always do as many questions as you can in your head and not with the calculator, it helps your understanding of how maths works, and makes the harder maths later on easier to understand.

Sorry for the rant, its just maths is cool, dont let any one tell you it isnt

• 2 months later...

:bounce: anyone good at stats? I was reading through some sample papers today, and noticed a comment by the marker.

Is it ok to have two different sample sizes? Say one is 50 people and the other is 54, could this affect the data?

It said "many candidates were under the illusion that because there was more than one group than another, the statistics were invalid in some way; a valid teaching point".

I realize it's too late to ask my Maths teacher, so can anyone help out? I can tell that they are going to do it tomorrow, because in the past like 3 years they've done it. :digH:

Thanks P44

Oh and another quick one

Difference between sample space and sample size?

I think size is how many there are, but what is space?

Got it, sample space is all the outcomes of eg rolling a dice

Sample size is the number of people you interview, or how many tests you do ect?

So the question is normally

Analyze the data accuracy, including the data collection methods.

I might stick in there, even though the two sample space(size?) are different this shouldn't affect the data accuracy, due to it being a small figure.