More than one Axolotl in a tank.

Hi, I'm Peter, New here

I would love to own a Blue Tounge lizard, but the parents won't have it &c:ry

Anyway, I have a leucistic Axolotl that I have had for two years now.

He (or she) is living in a filtered 70 liter tank.

He is well fed and healty with fluffy gills on a diet of pellets, blood worms, and occasional chunks of meat and hot house turtle food (he is pretty big, about 17 cms).

Anyway, I was wondering whether I can put another appropriately sized axolotl in with him, given the size of the tank etc.

I am just wondering because he has never lived with anything else in his tank, so he might eat/ attempt to eat the other one.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks :)

Males have a pronounced lump under the body just behind their back legs. AS long as they are the same size and the tank isnt too small for them they will get along fine. If they don't get fed enough occasionally one will eat the other ones legs off but it will grow back.

His are two males

i've got three about 12cm long in a tank 84cm x 60cm, they're growing fast and seem to get along fine. have the odd nip at each other when they get fed but that's about it. they also have heaps of places to hide in etc.

what dimensions are the tank he's in? from what i understand it's the area of the bottom of tank that is more important than water volume for working out numbers etc as any water depth over about 30cm is extra to their needs.

Generally ok to house more than one, just keep well fed, the bigger the tank the better.

I had 6 in a tank 120cmx38x38cm until recently, no legs missing just lots of eggs which make a real mess of the tank.

Have seen them eat legs off in the past, but never when they have been fed within the last couple of days.

Hi, thanks for the responses, The tanks bottom dimensions are 60 x 30.

Another thing I was wondering was where would I go to get an axolotl that size, people generally tend to only sell them as baby's.

If anyone has one in Christchurch of a similar size (16-17 cms) of any color except white, then I may be interested. Especially if it is gold, those are awesome :)

May be they were'nt fed enough?

I have seen them turn on each other in the past, but only after not feeding them for like a week or more. Think water temp has a bit to do with it also. As have kept them in bath tubs outdoors without food for months (generally over winter) and they always seem to have all the digits come summer.

mine are well fed, and pretty fussy now that they have discovered how good earthworms are. no longer very interested in pellets or their frozen food.

60x30 might be a bit small, the rule of thumb i use is one for the first two square feet then one per square foot after that as a minimum. though i know some people do just use one per square foot with out the extra one at the start and with good filtering and water changes they might be fine but the more space the better really.

haven't seen any gold ones around the size you are after here in chch sorry, just smaller ones on trademe. the guy that has them is great to deal with and really helpful too. you could always get a second bigger tank for a couple of gold ones to grow up to size in :)