Oxygenator for a pond

cryancondor

Hi there, I have an 800L pond that at the moment has water circulating from a sub pump through a sun sun 304B canister (have got it in a big rubbish bin that's dug into the ground!!) and down a water fall.

We have 2 Ranunculus lingua (are they oxygenators???), a water lilly and a water iris.

At the mo, the bottom of pond (concrete) is bare, no stones etc.

I want as mush oxygen in there as possible... any thoughts? Cheers!

It is also where the shops get it from. Make sure you get Elodea canadensis as the other plants called oxygen weed are unwanted organisms

Good advice! Thanks!

How can I tell I have the Elodea canadensis?

In you opinion, is ranunculus lingua an oxygenator? I purchased them as I was told they were but have been told by someone else that they are a marginal.

It is a marginal plant, grown at a depth of about 15cm. Commonly known as buttercup. It is said to be a good filtration plant but I don't know if that means it is a good oxygenator though. Oxygen weed would be much better and is free.

I haul it up in bunches, with roots intact, from local rivers and plant it into baskets. If I am only using it over summer for spawning in a spare pond I just hold it down with a rock or brick.

Choose your collection spot carefully. Look for excess algae or unwanted critters. Water with a good flow is best.

A clear pic of the legal species can be found on our plant database http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=956

It is a marginal plant, grown at a depth of about 15cm. Commonly known as buttercup. It is said to be a good filtration plant but I don't know if that means it is a good oxygenator though. Oxygen weed would be much better and is free.

I haul it up in bunches, with roots intact, from local rivers and plant it into baskets. If I am only using it over summer for spawning in a spare pond I just hold it down with a rock or brick.

Choose your collection spot carefully. Look for excess algae or unwanted critters. Water with a good flow is best.

A clear pic of the legal species can be found on our plant database http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?p=956/quote:3udh91t9

Brilliant. Thank you!

So what is the risk of getting the illegal variety? I mean, do they look similar? And, apart from the obvious legal aspect, what harm will it do if I inadvertently collect the wrong variety?

Also, Do I need to plant it in a soil filled basket or do I just need to weigh it down?

How long does it last? Having roots, will it just keep growing or will the fish munch on it till I need to go get some more?

How far are you from the Avon River? It has more algae with it if taken from shallow water. It is in the Cam also. If you would like a nice drive head out to Harts creek which goes in to lake Ellesmere (Te Waihora) out the back of Leeston. The water is spring fed, colder, less nutrients and therefore less algae.

How far are you from the Avon River? It has more algae with it if taken from shallow water. It is in the Cam also. If you would like a nice drive head out to Harts creek which goes in to lake Ellesmere (Te Waihora) out the back of Leeston. The water is spring fed, colder, less nutrients and therefore less algae.

Brilliant! I'm from Tai Tapu so know both areas well. Thanks a lot! :thup: