How to spot gill flukes on adult discus?

Vervo

Hello,

One of our adult discus looks like shes heavy breathing, but her gills are "coming out" a little bit when she breathes.

The gill flaps open rather wide, and it looks like the internal part of the gill comes out a little bit.

Is this gill flukes?

Any other way i can determine what this is?

Cheers

Hello,

One of our adult discus looks like shes heavy breathing, but her gills are "coming out" a little bit when she breathes.

The gill flaps open rather wide, and it looks like the internal part of the gill comes out a little bit.

Is this gill flukes?

Any other way i can determine what this is?

Cheers

No, it isn't a typical symptom of gill flukes. Pretty common for some fish to breathe like this at times. Especially if just been fed or some chasing going on. Gill flukes is normally indicated by a combination of 'flashing' and breathing heavily from one gill only.

One of my adults goes through stages of doing this though, and has done for some time. He changes which gill he breathes from too!

There is a secondary flap in behind the hard gill cover, this can be apparent on some fish and not others.

HTH