What Tropheus/Africans do you want? And would you pay?

ryanjury

It happens alot, that you put in the time and offer your interest but never get anywhere with it, in the end it comes down to the few people who ruin it for the rest of us, I for one would like to get the fish in and breed them for everyone to enjoy.

Yeah I agree, but I can understand why the importers/shops don't go out of their way for people.. I mean if some of the fish named above came in they would be retailing for $150-200+ a fish and things like tropheus need to be in big colonies to succeed and actually produce enough fry to sell, can you justify or afford 15-20+ fish and run the risk on them? Our list is such that we can get all sorts but it all comes down to money.. :(

and this is where the problem comes in that not enough people are willing to get together and share the load, the more people means less money to be paid between each person, which ends in everyone getting there fish at a price much cheaper than one person doing it by themselves.

and this is where the problem comes in that not enough people are willing to get together and share the load, the more people means less money to be paid between each person, which ends in everyone getting there fish at a price much cheaper than one person doing it by themselves.

This is all well and good in theory and something that I have done in the past with people just given them males or females to get things breeding and sorted it out later and could work..

A few things to consider though say 3 of you go thirds in a colony of fish that costs $3000.

1. Who gets to keep and breed the fish?

2. How would you feel if the fish were to die and you were to be say $1000 out of pocket?

3. How are the fry allocated to each person and are the adults divided up again?

As much as it is a great idea there are always going to be issues with doing things that way, I have been bitten in the past and will no doubt be again. There are always emotions and all sorts invovled in anything to do with money and that is where it gets difficult.

Maybe forming groups to contribute and front up with cash to buy groups of fish and then divide the spoils if any (the reality is in a market like NZ you wont make $3k of a colony that costs you that). Maybe it would be worth it to get a few new species into the country?

Definatly worth getting new species into the country, gotta keep the hobby growing, and i can understand your theory with the splitting of money and fish between a group, like if there was only say 2males out of a group of 20fish, who would get the males? it would not end in a good way. It is an uncertain way of how it will turn out well, easiest way in my opinion, and correct me if im wrong, would be to get them through LFS, but once again that is not a definate way of saying you will get the fish or not.

Yeah would be all good getting new species into the country and out there :)

If you were getting 20 of a colony type fish there is no point in splitting them so you would be paying to have one person keep the entire colony and breed them.

Unless you have wholesale contacts you would have to go through a store and get them to approach a wholesaler, and it may be a case of putting up cash first to convince the wholesale/store you are serious and them only ordering the amount of fish you have pre paid for. Also with fish that are considered a higher risk it may be a cash up front deal where you pay for the amout of fish they order and take the risk of loosing them in quarantine.

Of course this is all off the top of my head and I haven't approached a store/wholesaler (because I don't have the thousands of $$ required sitting here to do it). Just discussing it on behalf of my mate who asked.

I would and have in the past "stumped up" to get fish here

as have others

would do so again even at 200 a fish consider buying an entire shipment of something like comps or trophs etc because I can house feed and distribute them

no issues my end

none at all

of course I have to be offerd fish and then the shipment has to be "untampered" and not all can say that happens

Maybe we could start an FNZAS fish import fund thingy so people could donate money to getting new species imported?

Thank you for your interest, I am a member of the Nigerian Royal family and have the necessary connections to get any fish placed on the list. Simply place $174 into the following ASB account 12-45345-4545##### with the species name as a reference. I look forward to helping you out.

"Humor only!"

Thank you for your interest, I am a member of the Nigerian Royal family and have the necessary connections to get any fish placed on the list. Simply place $174 into the following ASB account 12-45345-4545##### with the species name as a reference. I look forward to helping you out.

"Humor only!"

sounds good! :rotf:

Thank you for your interest, I am a member of the Nigerian Royal family and have the necessary connections to get any fish placed on the list. Simply place $174 into the following ASB account 12-45345-4545##### with the species name as a reference. I look forward to helping you out."

Ummm I tried to put money into that account but it said it was an invalid account. Would you please check the account number??

Looking forward to hearing back from you :D

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I think there is a good market for dwarf cichlids currently. As for "IMO" I'd like to see more killifish "commonly available"

There are an awesome batch of what appear to be good quality dwarf cichlids recently imported.. Feel free to rouse up interest in killies in the killifish section, or join the killie club there are (or at least were) tons available..