Sump ideas?

fishy-fish

I'm looking at moving from a canister to a sump for the first time and would like to build my own sump from 5mm & 6mm glass. I have space for a 500x500x500 sump in my new stand and it will be filtering 350 litres with 35 mature malawi's. The tank size is 1750 x 450 x 475. I like the idea of a wet/dry with a rain plate and using bio balls plus noodles but that's as far as I've got. I have built several tanks in my time but never a sump, so any ideas, suggestions, concepts would be most appreciated as well as hardware suggestions e.g. pump and plumbing.

Thanks!

I've never designed my own sump but just make sure that you get someone with good math skills helps you to double check the design haha. My sump came with the tank and I nearly flooded my room at first because the pump was too strong. Small details make a huge difference haha.

As for media, I think that you're on the right track. Bio balls are good, but best to double up with secondary media. If I were you, I would let the water pass through the bio balls then work its way through multiple sections of ceramic noodles, etc. By partitioning the sump with glass panes and forcing the water through a single path, you'll maximise the media efficiency. The sump should end up looking like an L with the longer part on the bottom.

Si that looks like a great sump for a marine tank, but not a particularly good design for fresh water IMO...

DavidR is a good person to ask about sumps. :D

If you search for my past post with "sump" in them you don't even have to ask! ;)

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/search.php?keywords=sump&terms=all&author=David+R&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

I've posted plans and ideas many times, there's loads of info out there.

Not sure about planted, wouldn't a canister be a better option as there is less disturbance to the water? If you were running that sump on a marine tank would you put the skimmer in the first part before the refugium?

IMO the main reason to go for a sump with a FW tank is for the ability to house a large amount of bio media, especially exposed media above the water level (I guess some would say thats more of a trickle filter, but I've always thought of them as one in the same).

I had this sump working on my cichlid tank for over a year working fine with 50+ fish in it. and it was packed full with more than enough media.

Afters using a sump I don't think I would ever go back to canisters, I find sumps easier to do maintenance on with out having to pull everything apart. If it work then it works, If it doesn't then I will change it so it does. I will just have to find out the hard way :)

Those of you who have made a sump, or are about to give it a go, why not write an article, with step by step pics, for the Aquarium World magazine? Few words needed, if you are not that way inclined, as a pic is worth a 1,000 words :wink:

Even if you build something and it does not work. Showing what you did, then what you did wrong, can be helpful to others so they won't make the same mistake.

I am always looking for articles. Email them to me :bow:

I had this sump working on my cichlid tank for over a year working fine with 50+ fish in it. and it was packed full with more than enough media.

I'm sure it would, and if you already had it then it would be simple enough to make it work. However if I was designing a sump specifically for a cichlid tank I would do it differently to incorporate a tower with above-water media.