Interesting research for Shrimps BREEDERS!!!!

SGTTS

HI guys, I am back again, after I went away to China for nearly a year. I will return and stay in AKL for a shortwhile.

of course. after few week of settlement, I come to forum and HI to all of you .. especially stella and Dream etc memebers :P miss u all~~

As i was in China, instantly i bought myself a fish tank along with a canister filter, sand,lighting etc. the whole set only cost me around 40NZD which i think is very good deal. haha

bought the shrimp call Crystal Red Shrimps from fish market about 2NZD for 1. I successfully see them re-producing, and give my 2nd generation to my friends etc..

There are lots of different kind fresh water shrimps to buy... at the first time i walk into the fish market.. i was like.. :o:o:o:o then my second response is :thup: :thup: :thup:

As I return to NZ, my china fish tank is looking after by friend, and I also bought some aquarium equipment back for doing the NZ natives. I have a filter etc with me. got gravel ready to put in. got lights from China, all i missing now is a tank.. and I am going to continue my objective which is breeding NZ shrimps in fish tank.

I had read a intersting research from Zoology Department of Univerisyt of Canterbury. here's follow:

http://www.bugz.org.nz/EntDocArticles/022D15F0-4F96-40CB-AE4A-9092C1EEDD46/web-022D15F0-4F96-40CB-AE4A-9092C1EEDD46-001.jpg

they mentioned the salt contain in water of how to breed the shrimps. and now I am thinking is how to get the salt level up within the water... (cooking salt???? chemical salt????) did anyone really success of breeding them would keen to share some experience? it would make my project easier to achieve.

cheers~ :love:

they mentioned the salt contain in water of how to breed the shrimps. and now I am thinking is how to get the salt level up within the water... (cooking salt???? chemical salt????) did anyone really success of breeding them would keen to share some experience?

Probably you'll want to use artificial sea salt. Something like Instant Ocean, Red Sea, etc. Good luck breeding them, I believe they have a plankton stage where they drift around in the ocean for a few months which you'd have to replicate?

Ira, thx for your prompt reply...

I think they need to in the salt water in a certain period then will start reproducing process.. what I am thinking is after the shrimps is settle. then i change the salt level.. for a certain.. see will the shrimps survives... maybe that's the only way..

Other members please help me out :hail::hail::hail:

HI Blueether~~~

Nice to meet you and how are you :)

yes. I am kind of interesting of to see what kind of result it will get also. I been to a walk today as exercise, it has a small river. I am searching any material for my tank..

I am going to use some gravel + some larger rocks will aglae for setup and material.. I am thinking do i need to buy any aquarium plants in .

From what i read from other forum with aquarium shrimps. As long the temperature is right for the shrimps, they will start re-production. the water temperature is important. But for the nature shrimps. i guess i first is to get the salt level right.....

I am thinking of an idea of how to keep the water is the lowest temperature as possible. As what we know the water will never be 10 degree from the fish tank... except I use Water Cooler system..

I doesn't want to put the tank in garage as that means i will sit in my garage everynight and watch them.. hahahah

suggestions suggestions....

Hi SGTTS, nice to meet you as well.

They are fantastic little things. Last summer I saw some (a good dozen or two) some 150-160km up the waikato/waipa river system in one of the mountain feed streams on Pirongia.

I can get a ~100l tank and I have about a dozen clear plastic bins or around 25l to play with.

I also want to get my common bullies to breed, but that is another topic in it's self.

HI Blueether,

It is actually very very interesting to see how theses little live... When i was in china, i spend alot of time at night watching what they are doing.

We are setting up an environment as Day time = Night, Night time = day for the aquarium, because we all home at night. so we switch on the light and see them. during the day time we going out.. it's a night time for them.

This setup not only is easier for us. it also stop raising too high temp during day time for the water.

For your bullies, i doesn't have any knowledge, maybe stella could help you...

I also want to get my common bullies to breed, but that is another topic in it's self.

:slfg:

Male bully, meet female bully.

Go forth and multiply

8)

With common bullies, just make sure you get them from a non-diadromous lake population, otherwise they will need to 'go to sea', which could be done but with a lot of hassle (google scholar search: 'laboratory culture of galaxias maculatus' by Mitchell)

:slfg:

Male bully, meet female bully.

Go forth and multiply

8)

With common bullies, just make sure you get them from a non-diadromous lake population, otherwise they will need to 'go to sea', which could be done but with a lot of hassle (google scholar search: 'laboratory culture of galaxias maculatus' by Mitchell)

[off topic]Last week I caught ~10 common bullies from lake Arapuni so they should be good to, apart from the fact that most of them look to be males[/off topic]

It's good to see everyone interested in NZ native,,

it gives alot more understanding about our NZ environment.

keep going everybody.

I was very busy this week, anywhere can buy fish tank cheap??? Trade me? HolyyW***??? Anim*** ???

any suggestion ??

HI guys~~~

First of all, thx for the replies... it very helpful.. i been to HFF and have a look at that tank.. price was okey.... but try to search a bit cheaper on TM.

blueether: how do you breed the shrimps.. can you give me some more detail ???

thx heaps~

I havent yet, they have come into berry though.

Went out yesterday to see if I could get some more shrimp and only say one, but I did see some large Giant Bullies, upto about 150mm. I also managed to get 1/2 a dozen whitebait, this morning I have a very fat torrent fish and only two whitebait left :(