Tips, tricks, Ideas etc... needed for plans on new system!!

Doc Holiday

Hi guys!, the plans for my 5 foot system have been put on hold for a while due to lack of funds and lack of time, "you know, the usaul stuff". But mainly because we plan on moving in the next year or so and it would be more sensible to set the system up then.

But in the mean time I thought I might try my hand at a much smaller system. I'm thinking about giving my freshies some freedom in the five footer for a while and converting thier two footer into a small reef. It is an Aqua one AR620 all in one system, here is a link to areef done in the same tank http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0404.php , if you get time check out his website he has some amazing reefs, well worth a look.

I can't really consider this as a nano system because i will be running a four foot sump with about 60 litres in the main tank and approx 180 litres in the sump with a submersible return and in sump skimmer. I don't have these items yet so any suggestions or if anyone has some surplus equipement give us a yell.

Things I haven't planed yet is the plumping and circulation so ideas on this would be great.

Lighting will be two 20w flouros on a timer with a moon light(maybe)

Filtration will be about 50 kilos live rock on a DSB in the sump and about 15 kilos in the main system.

The big thing bugging me at the moment is the decision to drill or not to drill.

Pros- A drilled overflow is heaps more effective and reliable than a syphon overflow which has the risk of flooding if the syphon is broken.

Cons- It takes up alot of already limited space. Drilling can be risky causing fatal damage to the tank.

Some thoughts on this would help the decision process.

If you have any questions please ask and any input would be greatly appreciated. :-? :-?

Cons- It takes up alot of already limited space. Drilling can be risky causing fatal damage to the tank.

IMO, disagree and disagree! you would be surprised how drilling in the right spot and aquascaping around it will actually improve on space. i also dont see any risk in causing damage to the tank if drilled - if the right glass thickness is chosen in the first place i dont believe a few holes will make it that much weaker (so long as they are not drilled to close to the edge) it makes plumbing easier rather than having piping going over the top of the tank. having a pre-drilled tank myself, i would never change it.

A drilled overflow is heaps more effective and reliable
alone is enough to select a drilled tank. cons in my opinion is once drilled, cant be changed. proper planning and design prior will stop this from becoming an issue (learn from others mistakes where the best place to drill is!)

i was including holes drilled for closed loops. saves on piping running down into your tank.

of course an overflow box uses up space, but if its built around or integrated with your aquascaping then its hardly noticeable. they can be built quite small too. my overflow box is about 120mm square on a 5 foot tank, takes up next to no space at all (or 1.6% of the tanks area to be precise)

too many risks (over and above drilled) with up and over idea.

You will regret not drilling the tank, this is something I can garantee. Drilling a tank is not hard, if your glazer won't do it try a tiler or buy a bit of ebay and do it yourself.

We drilled an existing tank last weekend, took less than 10 minutes and couldn't have been any easier. Through the base of a 10mm tank. It was dissapointingly easy.

As for the drilling causing fatal damage to the tank see my remark above. Not drilling is the mistake.

YMMV.

pie

Glass tanks are cheap. Why not just buy a new small tank and sell the 620? You could probably get $150+ for it and that would buy a 3ft with drilled holes and overflows.

:roll: :roll: I like the 620, Molded corners, modern, fully enclosed. My wife would laugh at the idea of a square old 3 foot glass tank in the middle of our designer home.