Does it ever get any easier?

wordhappy

Hang in there! I think I've found the wonder drug with Praziquantel (fingers crossed) - will get some more today and hope for the best and will update here later.

I'm exactly the same as you - spent hundreds when I thought I was getting two tiny ornaments in a bowl that would live for 2 years max (and they would've in the bowl!)

Likewise the little beggars have snuck into my heart... :love:

Hang in there! I think I've found the wonder drug with Praziquantel (fingers crossed) - will get some more today and hope for the best and will update here later.

I'm exactly the same as you - spent hundreds when I thought I was getting two tiny ornaments in a bowl that would live for 2 years max (and they would've in the bowl!)

Likewise the little beggars have snuck into my heart... :love:

hey just wondering where you get the prazi from? I've only managed to get levamisole.

Bikbok do you have a cat/dog? I think you can get it from the vets ... I've never asked but if you went in and said your dog has tapeworms, they may let you get it. I don't know what their rules are... I managed to get worming tablets when one of our cats had tapeworms without having to bring my cat in or anything. But that's just worming tablets...

I have had many a try at goldfish and it always ends badly. Funny enough for me the fish that do the best are my pond fish that live in their green yucky pond and the ones I look after at the local kindy. Which only this year got ungraded to a 2ft tank and pump otherwise they had a plastic tank and no filter. All I do for them is pick them up at the end of every term. As far as I know they do nothing except feed them so no water changes for about 8-10 weeks and then home to their plastic tank for two weeks. I think one of the things with these fish is I have always used fish I have bred myself so they must be extra hardy. Thank goodness for the yucky pond:)

This reminds me of the times I have tried livebearers and goldfish (seperate tanks). Everytime I try I go all out and put on a great filter system and try my best and everytime it goes badly. Whereas people I know that do nothing and have a basic set up crack it! I just stick with my tropicals now!

hey just wondering where you get the prazi from? I've only managed to get levamisole.

I got it from my vets in Dunedin who had to order it in (domestically, not from overseas) - it is not in a fish-specific treatment, but in a tablet for mammals called Droncit. I had to be fairly insistent to get it as well, that's worth noting.

They told me to use it in a course - 250mg/100L each day for three days, with a 50% water change each day, then put the carbon back in after the third day.

As they are tablets I dissolve them in warm water, wait a while for it to cool, and add it in slowly right after the water change. It makes the water go very cloudy - this settles down after an hour or so - and there's lovely white residue on the bottom my gravel-less hospital tank at the moment (guess the fish have had snow, too!) but they perked up from Day 1. I have two goldfish and they both did a MASSIVE poo on Day 1, and a very respectable sized one on Day 2. Their dorsal fins haven't been so erect since they first got sick... happy, happy fishies. :love: :thup:

I think the liquid form they use overseas would be preferable just from the residue/particle size perspective but it does not seem to have caused my dudes any harm - far from it. Hope this helps.

p.s. @ Northland chic - that's ironic, isn't it? I think we all know a disgusting pond somewhere hosting any number of larger, healthier, better looking goldfish than the ones in many very well-maintained tanks!

If you use Ammolock it will stuff up your test readings. There should be no reason to use it. Water changes are better, and cheaper.

Thanks Caryl. I did a huge water change today. The guy from the LFS told me to use the Ammo-Lock :facepalm: because I took a water sample into them and the ammonia reading was between .5-1ppm. And I've been doing water changes every day for about the last 2-3 weeks.

10ml of stresscoat each water change? 10ml will do the whole tank, you only need 2-3ml when you do a 20-25% waterchange

Does that rule apply when the carbon filter is back in? I thought the carbon filter would filter the stuff out so that when I do a water change I would StressCoat+ the whole tank again...

Is it likely to be harmful if I keep doing this, i.e. will it build up?

I am also now monitoring the carbon (i.e. date put in, date rinsed, date replaced) in the little log book diary of (mostly) woes that I now keep beside the tank. :roey:

Does that rule apply when the carbon filter is back in? I thought the carbon filter would filter the stuff out so that when I do a water change I would StressCoat+ the whole tank again...

Is it likely to be harmful if I keep doing this, i.e. will it build up?

I am also now monitoring the carbon (i.e. date put in, date rinsed, date replaced) in the little log book diary of (mostly) woes that I now keep beside the tank. :roey:

Tanks don't need to be dosed with stresscoat every week. Your carbon will be stripping it out straight away anyway. You really only need it to remove any chlorine from the water you're adding to the tank so don't dose for the whole tank.

Most established fish tanks don't get any chemical additives except maybe a little bit in the new water for changes.

Thanks, @the-obstacle. I have reduced the amount I put in. 8)

And by way of a general update, my two are looking much more alert and active, and very very enthusiastic at meal time! Dorsal fins are up and scales are looking better and better. I finished the course of Praziquantel (Droncit tabs; dosage in previous post) and then did a course of Pimafix. Fish have never looked better. I am even considering reintroducing gravel into the tank... maybe even at a later date a plant or two! :happy2:

@aquariumbeginner32 - how are you going with yours? Feeling any better?

I got it from my vets in Dunedin who had to order it in (domestically, not from overseas) - it is not in a fish-specific treatment, but in a tablet for mammals called Droncit. I had to be fairly insistent to get it as well, that's worth noting.

They told me to use it in a course - 250mg/100L each day for three days, with a 50% water change each day, then put the carbon back in after the third day.

As they are tablets I dissolve them in warm water, wait a while for it to cool, and add it in slowly right after the water change. It makes the water go very cloudy - this settles down after an hour or so - and there's lovely white residue on the bottom my gravel-less hospital tank at the moment (guess the fish have had snow, too!) but they perked up from Day 1. I have two goldfish and they both did a MASSIVE poo on Day 1, and a very respectable sized one on Day 2. Their dorsal fins haven't been so erect since they first got sick... happy, happy fishies. :love: :thup:

I think the liquid form they use overseas would be preferable just from the residue/particle size perspective but it does not seem to have caused my dudes any harm - far from it. Hope this helps.

p.s. @ Northland chic - that's ironic, isn't it? I think we all know a disgusting pond somewhere hosting any number of larger, healthier, better looking goldfish than the ones in many very well-maintained tanks!

thanks for the info. Hopefuly I'll be able to find this post again if I ever get my hands on some droncit. I don't have a major problem in my fishtank but every couple of months a guppy will die off and not old guppies either ... . one of two things happen.. they either get skinny or they get really fat in the front. (but not dropsy), before they get quiet, stop eating and die. I'm not 100% sure it's worms but I've tried all the other worming treatments, salted the water and also a course of whitespot cure (when my pleco got whitespot after purchase) . The guppies didn't have whitespot but I'm sure some of the chemicals in it can help with other ailments too.