umm...

RB_607

the answer is yes, all aquatic plants need nutrient to grow, either that, they will decay and rot (easy food for the fish).

i good fertlizer i will recommend is the seachem flourish excel.

CO2 is a good catylst to promote good healthy plant. it is almost essential as you balance between lighting, fertlizer and CO2.

Cheers

Depends on the plants and the tank you have, and how seriously you take it.

Some people only fertilize with fish pooh, and still seem to get reasonable growth. If it were me, I might see how my plants were doing without any fertilizer, and only add if I saw signs of a deficiency. Mind you, I'm more interested in keeping fish than plants, but I do like a "heavily planted" look. I'd take the same tack with CO2.

Word on the street is plant food should be phosphate-free, and contain chelated(?) iron, magnesium and other important trace elements.

Brian

You will probably find that your system wasn't 100% airtight, CO2 is very good at escaping through the tiniest air leak. Use some silicon sealant on the inside and outside of your bottle cap where the airline hose comes out and try it again. It could also be your yeast, it needs to be kept in the fridge.

I am using a 2 litre coke bottle with 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 a teaspoon of edmonds surebake yeast kept in the fridge and a pinch of baking soda, filled with water to the top of the coke label.

My method is as follows:

I quarter fill the bottle with luke-warm water add one cup of sugar and quarter of a teaspoon of yeast and then shake vigourously (whilst covering the bottle opening of course :D ), then add more luke-warm water to an inch below the top of the label and add the second cup of sugar, quarter teaspoon of yeast and a pinch of baking soda and top up the water if I need to and shake vigorously again. I then screw the lid on tight, attach it to my aquaclear 150 filter intake and it starts bubbling in a few hours depending on room temperature.

I normally get two weeks out of a bottle and it has worked every time (touch wood :D ).

I hope this helps, don't give up on the CO2.

Cheers,

Matt

Hey, thanks for the info Matt. It could well be the container not being 100% sealed. The yeast is kept in the fridge, so i guess it has to be escaping. I will definately try your recipe, cause I think the one I got off the net is not quite right.

Once again thanks,

RB_607.