External Filters

wellmax

Hi all, can anyone advise me about the following?

(1) 300 litre tank filtered with a filter that has a turn-over rate of 2,000 liters an hour.

(2) 300 litre tank filtered with two 1,000 litre an hour filters.

Which one of the above examples would be the most efficient?? Or would they be of equal rating?

Kind Regards

you also need to take into account the volume of the filters. larger volume means more capacity for filter media. personally i'd go for the 2 smaller filters as they would probably have a larger combined volume. you could also clean out the filters at different times meaning there is less chance of a system crash

little or no difference I'd say. It comes down to preference really. Do you want to run 2 filters? Only down side would be more power usage I suppose. With 2 filters you can filter water from both ends of the tank and adjust your water movement to suit.

Personally, I would K.I.S.S. If the eventual turnover rate is the same, then don't bother with two, because it is essentially double the mess/ hassle. Double the wires, hoses, intake pipes, inflow pipes. While two filters are better for maintaining the bacteria because you clean one at a time, most people get along just fine with one filter because they don't wash all the media at once. For me, I never clean the bio media in my filter, I only rinse the sponge/ wool (just to be safe).