Pregnant guppy bursting at the seams!! Help!

critter_crazy

So I've had this guppy for 8 weeks now, the whole time being pregnant (I am 100% sure she has not dropped) and now it's getting to the stage she's actually burst!! :o I really don't want her to die, is there anything I can do? Has anyone had this happen before? She's been squared off for 2 weeks now and seems healthy/happy otherwise.

Below are two pics, first one is blurry but shows how squared off she is, second shows tear in body (from the gravid spot parallel to spine).

P1040835.jpg

P1040844.jpg

Not sure if it's just the picture but that looks like almost all of my female guppies, except the ones who've dropped very recently. Perhaps the photo doesn't show it properly? But if it does, she's fine 8)

I had a similar problem with my old guppy it held onto babies for ages when put in any trap then I took it out of breeding trap an it dropped overnight an all the babies were eaten. Next time I left her in the trap she stressed out stillborn all the babies an died. I reckon if the fish has any emotional value to you, just let it do its thing in the main tank an take the losses or else you could end up with nothing like me .(earthquake soon destroyed those tanks anyway but still)

You say shes in the tank so you should be ok to leave her...

I can't see a tear? is she bursting externally? or are you talking about her internal changes? She will get bigger than that before she releases, or at least mine do. Albinos are always a bit tricky, best thing to do is have plenty of floating plant and if one day u see albino fry you know yours is at least fertile enough to produce something. I've held onto fish for longer than a year before just hoping desperately for offspring but to no avail.

I can't see a tear either. I can see the internal demarcation of an organ (swim bladder? I am guessing) that has been pushed up by the gravid spot.

If there was a tear that went full thickness as you would expect if the internal pressure was too great, you would also get some of the internal organs hanging out, so would look more like a growth coming off her side (hernia).

From the photos, I can't see anything abnormal. I think because she is a blonde guppy she is more translucent than a other guppies.

Oh thank goodness, I thought that little squiggly line was an internal tear as its only on one side :o

No fry overnight but from the sounds of it she's going to get a lot bigger. I'm still a noob with breeding :oops:

My other female has dropped twice now in the time I've had this one :yaw1:

• 2 months later...