native lizards?

burrowssj

I've heard that its now illegal to take skinks from the wild(I used to have them when I was very young)

Was wondering if anyone knew anymore about this? My brother seems to think you can apply for a license through doc?

Does anyone know more about this?

I tried the website but it didn't give me much information other than the lizards habitat an where to find them ect ect

thanks will look into it. Does anyone know anymore about the process to get the permit? an what is required? I assume a suitable housing/habitat with correct lighting/heat ? And does anyone know weither they release them back into wild?

EDIT* oh i see the website has all this information haha still if anyone out there has done this let me know how it went for you

• 2 weeks later...

You ring up doc and ask about getting a permit for keeping native reptiles I found that doc dosnt mind if you have the lizards inside as long as you have a mesh lid and 2 other sides mesh and have a UVB light source. The. Once in contact with doc they will inspect the cages to see if they meet the requirements

I've heard that its now illegal to take skinks from the wild(I used to have them when I was very young)

Was wondering if anyone knew anymore about this? My brother seems to think you can apply for a license through doc?

I'm guessing the skinks you caught were the aussie ones, not natives, in which case they are now an unwanted organism (same as gambusia) and you can't keep them even with a permit. You can get a permit for keeping native skinks and geckos though, but you have to get them thru other keepers rather than pinching them from the wild.

what size cage do you think is reasonable for a native lizard? I was thinking I would try an build something around 120wide 60deep 120 high, have all mesh walls with a see threw plastic roof an probably a wood backing, not sure about what I would do with floor? mesh or wood + astroturf? I would probably build a second indoor enclosure for those extreme weather situations but that can wait until a later date.

A cage of that size will house just about anything. Arboreal geckos such as the Greens and Forest geckos favour tall cages (I think the NZHS recommendation is 900mm high). The large floor area would also suit terrestrial geckos or skinks. Keeping both skinks and geckos in the same cage seems to work well, so long as there is plenty of food, shelters and basking areas. Just a thought though, you have to ensure you can reach all edges of your cage with little hassle, so you don't want the roof of the cage much more than 2m above ground (I'm assuming your cage will be on a stand).