Green Water and UV Filter

jgreenslade89

Yes it will fix the issue but will not fix the problem causing it. If you black your tank out so there is no light for a few days this should also fix it. For both solutions I would say around 3 days or if very thick green maybe up to a week.

addressing the possible cause:

could cut back lighting hours.

less food for fish and or plant ferts if using them.

more water changes. bigger filter maybe.

sometimes just a sign of tank not being cycled fully / newly set up / not enough good bacteria (cleaning filter too often) etc

green water should just go away once you find the balance.

Uv filter will fix the symptoms, if a relatively new tank then it will likely not come back as the tank matures and finds a balance. I wouldn't turn off the lights and black out the tank (unless you don't have plants?). Very frequent water changes will also reduce the quantity of algae while you have the UV running.

i run UV 24/7 and i know plenty of reasons why i shouldnt have to, yet i do....when i was checking it all out i was trying to fix green water myself. turned out it was a bacterial bloom that looked supergreen because of my heavily planted tank diffusing green light. i checked the water by straining it through a tissue to look for algae but it was clear. UV took about 10 days to sort it, it may have sorted itself in that time but i wanted to try it out. main advantage i can see with UV is that its another line of defense to a few problems but its not the full answer. i have read that UV can benefit redox levels in fresh water tanks and this helps fishes. I dont know but it all sounded very plausible at the time.

hey thanks for that, have read up about it will consider getting some, just need to save up for it as it appears to be expensive!

yes but it will last for years. 40 bucks or less for the wee pouch. if you havent already id be tempted to get a few weeds and stems for it too.