Discus Pairing!

Vervo

Hello!

It seems two of our discus are pairing up! We have never seen this before!

It seems they have chosen the filter intake as a breading spot! Silly fish! Will the eggs stick? Or get sucked up?

We have a spare tank, thinking of moving them to that, so community fish don't eat the eggs.

Anyone got advice tips?

Cheers!

When you say wrigglers? what does that mean?

They are 'shivering' at each other, and rubbing up against each other. Also cleaning the filter intake.

So i should let them try and fail a few times first? Then move them to a separate tank? How long will this take? I'm unsure how often they do this!

They are blue cobalt btw!

When you say wrigglers? what does that mean?

They are 'shivering' at each other, and rubbing up against each other. Also cleaning the filter intake.

Once they have laid eggs approx 60 hrs later they should hatch in to wrigglers,then you know you have a male and a female for sure

So i should let them try and fail a few times first? Then move them to a separate tank? How long will this take? I'm unsure how often they do this!

If they have a good bond they will make better parents.I wouldn't move them unless you know for sure you have a pair,2 females will court each other also and lay eggs so you need to get wrigglers to know you have a fertile male aswell.

100 - 120 litre tank is best for breeding discus

They are blue cobalt btw!

Very nice! and best of luck

Sorry i was wrong, the tank is 65L.

Our discus seem small to be breading, the larger one is 4inches diameter, the other slightly smaller.

Not all discus get massive and they will still breed at that size,age is the important factor not size and a female can start laying at 6-7 months of age

Not all discus get massive and they will still breed at that size,age is the important factor not size and a female can start laying at 6-7 months of age

thanks for all your advice!

im not sure that the eggs would survive for 60 hours in our community tank! Our Blue Rams eggs would get demolished over night. (they kept trying though hehe) - also, the discus seem to be eyeing up the filter intake for the egg spot. Not sure if they will get sucked up or not.

our discus are around 14 months old

thanks for all your advice!

im not sure that the eggs would survive for 60 hours in our community tank! Our Blue Rams eggs would get demolished over night. (they kept trying though hehe) - also, the discus seem to be eyeing up the filter intake for the egg spot. Not sure if they will get sucked up or not.

our discus are around 14 months old

One of my Discus pairs always :facepalm: spawn on the filter intake pipe, in a planted community tank. They did this 5-6 times and the eggs would always disappear on the second night. Their behaviour then changed, becoming far more protective and aggressive towards the other tank members (Discus, loaches etc) when they had eggs. On that particular spawn (mid April) they produced wrigglers and then free-swimmers, they got eaten by the big bad filter though! Since that successful mid April spawn I have divided off the tank, and they have produced one unsuccessful batch and two successful batches, still spawning on the filter intake (now with pantyhose over the inlet) and on a timer.

Long story short, leave them in the current tank and let them develop their bond and protective skills, and hope they are a viable pair.

IMHO 60 litres is not too small for a breeding tank, as long as you maintain a solid water change regime. One of the most successful hobbyist breeders I know breeds in tanks of 50-60 litres.

thanks for your reply fishplants! :D

Im thinking of just getting another tank for the breeding, probably 100L, i have all the other gear, so just buying a tank shouldn't hurt the wallet.

Ill probably request a custom made one. Anyone know good dimensions for height of a discus breeding tank? Do they prefer a tank with more surface area? Or taller with less surface area?

Cheers

Here is a video!

Make sure you view it in 480p or its impossible to see anything

It was filmed on an iphone, so quality is bad and makes it very hard to see them 'shivering', but they are doing it alot throughout the video.

I think for breeding you will want a 45cm cube tank which is 90L, so 80 odd litres when full. That way the babys will be able to find the parent fish easyer when trying to attach. Try using a breeding cone in the center of the tank they work well. A 50cm cube is good also which is 120 odd litres.

If a 45cm cube is to small for your discus and you dont want to risk them banging into the sides you can make the tanks 70cm long by 30cm wide and 45cm high the tank volume works out the same 90L,

also works out to be 10L of water to every 5cm hight of tank so it makes it easy to calculate the amounts of water you are taking out when waterchanging.

Your 65L tank will be fine tho if its tall, you jst need to keep on top of the water changes.

thanks for your reply fishplants! :D

Im thinking of just getting another tank for the breeding, probably 100L, i have all the other gear, so just buying a tank shouldn't hurt the wallet.

Ill probably request a custom made one. Anyone know good dimensions for height of a discus breeding tank? Do they prefer a tank with more surface area? Or taller with less surface area?

Cheers

i would say a 50x50x50 cm