MARINE FISH -lots of them

scatman

go on tease me then....... what are the prices and the variety?

ok, I go take a look tonight and post some details......

Prob best for steve/nick if we all trot down and show support for them etc......

I am after a male clown so who knows?

:)

copperbands - $65 holliwoods now 27% cheaper then jansens

lemonpeel $90

nice first effort guys

lots of interesting fish, these are much better prices at the retail level steve. I hope its sustainable (numbers look ok to me, based on my spreadsheets) and look forward to seeing price reductions on corals in the future.

I have the price list from 3 wholesalers internationally.

I have the air frieght charges from each.

I know the maf fees for the import.

I have estimated mortality rates.

this I reckon I know the imported landed cost of the fish.

I know that both importer and retailer like to make at least 100% margin to cover expenses like rent, equipment and most importantly their own time.... the 100% is gross, not net profit.........

from the prices I see the model above looks right on, assuming that each is taking about 100% gross profit. remember the number of hours that are required to go to the airport, Q fish, setup etc etc etc

while 100% prob sounds a lot its probaby right for the importer.

I do see a skew in pricing that I still do not understand... thats the simplist fish, clowns, chromis etc seem to retail at a skewed higher price then the more expensive to import fish..... It may just be that the retail and wholesale channel actually makes more on these basic and most imported fish, to help keep themselves in business. ?????

I have heard this mentioned, that you make all the $$$ to keep the lights on in chromis, damsels,clowns and that in comparison the corals are a lot less margin.... some wholesalers will pack 150-200 chromis in a 20kg box....

anyway my point is that these prices are sustainable, the only way think you can expect to see much lower prices is if a importer/retailer combined so there was not a double 100% markup, however the commercialy viable price at retail could probably only drop about another 25-30% even then, given the size of the AKL market. And surely that operater would then try to maximise margins by doing this, not minismise profits....

or if someone imported on a profitable but not fully commercially footed basis, and sold direct to the public...... of course then the shops would probably not buy off that importer, increasing his/her cost due to the increased number of hours required to catch and bag fish individually for the hobby market.......

Prices would also drop if the market got a lot bigger IMHO. Probably to aussie prices.......

we have just seen a 20-25% drop in fish prices! IMHO yay! I cannot see why the same logic will not apply to corals but you just can't pack as many corals per box as fish.....

competition is alive in the AKL market.