Plants for juwel vision 180

Ismart120

Hi,

After only just realizing there's a planted section to this site, I thought I'd ask what sort of plants I could potential keep in a stock juwel vision 180, more or less just with the stock lighting, and a substrate based fertilizer. I'm lead to believe that they come with two 39W t5's.

While I'd like to keep crypts really, I'd be interested to see if things like glosso or stargrass would survive/grow in these conditions?

Thanks

Just did a google on that tank, and looks like 55cm high? I'm not too familiar with t5's but I think you might struggle with glosso (horrible plant anyway :lol: ). Stargrass should be fine, it's pretty undemanding. Dwarf sagittaria would be sweet but can get quite high for a carpeting plant. There's the dwarf echinodorus species but I'm not sure how much light they require.

Other plants like java fern/ bolbitis/ anubias species/ mosses etc will all work well, along with many types of stem plants/swords.

Anything that you suggest? Would be looking at selection of colours red/green/brown but other than that no idea.

Ok, what about something like zealandia micro sword? As a carpet plant that is, I'm not that keen on hairgrass (now thats horrible stuff) and the dwarf sag that I've got will be too high for a real carpet as such, might use that as a mid ground plant though

What about lotus plants? Or is that more of a discus tank thing? =P

The lights on the juwels are fantastic. Evil_Elmo on here did grow glosso under standard lights, but he did say that it was much better after the powerglo upgrade.

Don't get discouraged though; lights are the one thing that won't limit what you can grow in that particular tank as most plants will be quite happy with them. Crypts will do wonderfully if you add some JBL balls to the substrate.

Man, thats awesome - what other plants are in there? Cant quite make them out sorry, the one on the right hand side in a loop, is that glosso growing tall? And I know how you feel, getting a little tired of having to clean up the floor all the time

tank has been setup for about 6 weeks now, dosed flourish excel for the fist 2 weeks until i ran out, now i dont dose with anything

i run a Pressurized co2 about 2-3 bubbles a second, lights are 2 factory juwel tubes plus 2 juwel colour tubes....i just used whatever i had at home

i filled up the tank again

IMG_1198.jpg

Brave of you to fill up the tank again just yet =P

I was in there yesterday but people were looking at it so I didn't get a good look - from what was there it seems very similar to how I want to set up mine when I get it, with lots of neons or cardinals etc. Oh weel, just another excuse to go back...

How long did your Co2 last? And what sort was it? Not the fluval 88g by any chance?

tank has been setup for about 6 weeks now, dosed flourish excel for the fist 2 weeks until i ran out, now i dont dose with anything

i run a Pressurized co2 about 2-3 bubbles a second, lights are 2 factory juwel tubes plus 2 juwel colour tubes....i just used whatever i had at home

i filled up the tank again

IMG_1198.jpg

Nice, I would keep up with the flourish if you can afford to. I stopped dosing mine and my glosso just went all yellow but I don't have Pressurized co2 yet, just DIY stuff.

I'm looking forward to finally getting Pressurized co2 sorted as I really want my tank looking like that! How long did it take to carpet?

Brave of you to fill up the tank again just yet =P

I was in there yesterday but people were looking at it so I didn't get a good look - from what was there it seems very similar to how I want to set up mine when I get it, with lots of neons or cardinals etc. Oh weel, just another excuse to go back...

How long did your Co2 last? And what sort was it? Not the fluval 88g by any chance?

there setup looks good, the big school of cardinals looks awesome

i'm running a 5kg bottle of co2 which lasts about a year for me

Nice, I would keep up with the flourish if you can afford to. I stopped dosing mine and my glosso just went all yellow but I don't have Pressurized co2 yet, just DIY stuff.

I'm looking forward to finally getting Pressurized co2 sorted as I really want my tank looking like that! How long did it take to carpet?

only took a month to do a full carpet....flourish is great stuff but this tank seems pretty stable without it and i save myself $125 for a bottle!