Voltage input

Mirio

They do have power adaptors, Ira, at least the 2078 does.

Customs usually ping you if an imported item's worth > $400-$500 I find. Although I bought in a $4000 telescope a few years ago and only had to pay $73???

Moot now - the LFS has made me a reasonable offer :D Don't forget to haggle - the asking price is just a starting point...

• 2 weeks later...

It's not only the voltage that's important on these types of motors, it's the frquency. US uses 110VAC 60Hz. NZ uses 230VAC 50Hz.

The 110V motor will burn out on NZ voltage. If a step-down transformer is used to drop the 230VAC in NZ to 110VAC to run the motor there are still 2 issues. As we use 50Hz the lower frquency will over-flux the iron in the motor as it's designed for 60Hz which will make it get hotter and could reduce it's life. As the shaft speed is not only voltage depandant as well as frequency dependant the impeller will spin more slowly therefore the flow rate will be reduced (flow rate is usually a cube-law of shaft speed (depending on the pump design)).

50Hz motors will likely have a different impeller design to pump more water at a lower shaft speed for NZ use. There are many things to check (which increases the risk).

25% saving in cost on an import isn't worth it if there are problems. You need at least 50% saving in total cost to make it viable - then you can buy another one to replace the faulty one if it fails and still be no worse off than buying one in NZ.

• 2 weeks later...
If something is rated say 100v and 50-60Hz is it still safe for use here? (Of course with a voltage converter)

Depends what the 'something' is.

I've just got my new Eheim. The adapter is universal, i.e. it takes 100-240 volts @ 50-60 Hz

So you should be sweet buying one overseas :)

It must use a low voltage motor and have a standard universal switchmode power supply. It's a good idea as it makes 1 product usable internationally without the need for voltage adapters. It's happening more and more with electrical products - one power supply with a small clip-on mains connection terminal and a selection of terminals in the pack to suit all countries.