Airstone placement

JazzyJeff

Buy one of those long pipe air stones, but make sure that it's long enough to run the length of your tank. Put that at the back of the tank and ta'da! you have a bubble wall - looks really cool. Plus, you can hide the airline at the side by the filter intake. Oops - forgot to ask how big your tank is haha. The bubble wall only works if it's a smallish sized tank. Do you really need the air stone? What kind of filter are you running? If you don't need to add it in then problem evaded lol.

It's a 200l tank that is quite deep - I had a ring in the corner that was hidden before but I have just replaced the gravel and re-vamped the tank - I was going to leave the airstone out but have found all the rasboras/rummies are gobbing at the top and the bristlenose catfish are reverse dive bombing the surface on a regular basis! I have placed a new airstone in there for now and they have stopped BUT this airstone looks stooopid.

I have a canister filter running on this and it also contains discus

I have a canister filter running on this and it also contains discus

Then put the spraybar so it's disturbing the surface. That should be far more than necessary to airate the tank. The only reason for airstones is if you're running an air powered filter or you like the looks.

Yeah, agree with Ira - either put a spray bar on the return inlet or position the return flow of water to disturb the water surface to allow air to mix with the water. What is the temperature of the tank? Water holds more oxygen at lower temperatures than at higher. So if you're running your tank at say, 28 deg C, you could gradually drop it down to 26 deg C or even 24 deg C which is acceptable for tropicals. I wouldn't go below 24 deg C for this season, just because there is a lot more heat loss from the tank than in summer, so if the ambient temperature does plummet, you have a few degrees to buffer it.

Then put the spraybar so it's disturbing the surface. That should be far more than necessary to airate the tank. The only reason for airstones is if you're running an air powered filter or you like the looks.

Yup - done that - I too thought that would be enough but it doesn't appear to be!