T Bar Cichlids / Cryptoheros sajica

phoenix44

I got 4 from a friend a few weeks ago. They were in a fish room and so the tank didn't have a direct light on top of the tank.

The colours they now show are quite different to anything I have seen online. Does any one else have any pics of theirs that they would like to share?

They have this amazing yellow blaze on them; except for one male with more normal colours that has a cool bumpy head.

Here are mine (and yes, that is my finger; it's the only way I can get a pic of them! They move far too much!).

DSC04681Large.jpg

DSC04695Large.jpg

They constantly have that colour and spend all day dancing in front of each other! In fact after I pulled em out of the tank after I nearly killed everything and fixed the water in the tank and out them back they started again! I love their eyes!

AFAIK there are actually different coloured forms from different locations, but as usual ours have all been muddled up. Every female I've seen has had the yellow dorsal stripe, but none of the males do. My biggest male got to nearly 6", and they're nearly on-par with cons when it comes to breeding aggressiveness (solo males are pretty placid though) so you might want to watch them with the rest of your fish...

No Doubts they are cool.

Short of Honduran red points( which i'd love to try), they have to be one of the best of the genus.

I had quite a few spawns from mine, grwat parent and lovely characters.

Male:

DSC_0238.jpg

Female in breeding colour guarding:

DSC_0138.jpg

My first initial Young couple and parents July 2008:

DSC_0058.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi

I have 3 of these little guys. I bought a female off TM earlier this year and got 2 others from lfs which both turned out to be males. The female is exactly the same with the yellow fins and the male she has chosen to pair with is maturing more everyday. He is developing his hump and a royal blue colour on his gills.

The eyes is what does it - you just want to reach out and grab their cheeks and go "goochy gooo!" :gigl:

The extra male is now out of sorts so I think I'll need to find another female, or replace him with a female.

-K.

• 2 weeks later...