Thinking about a reptile

I have been spending more time around reptiles and they are really growing on me. I think I would possibly like to have one, but first I need to think about what type to get and how to house it. I have a basic knowledge of their needs but any advice will help :)

My favourites so far are bearded dragons, leopard geckos and tortoises. The last two may be out of reach budget wise but you never know.

I have access to some tanks at work, one is 92x38x36cm and holds water, the other is 122x45x49cm and has a cracked base and raised bracing on the bottom.

Would either of these be suitable for housing the above or other reptiles?

Also how much space does a tortoise require, and do they get lonely?

Sorry about all the questions!

tortoises are better on their own.They can have serious behaviour problems if kept in groups with dominance issues between males and females/siblings etc.in the wild they have a territory that they defend against other males and only come together to mate.To insist they need `friends` is just a human emotion that people put out there.

Your right about the waterdragon/The most un-petlike lizard we have in my opinion.if one were to escape you would have a slim chance of recatching it?

Or you could go for a turtle? My red eared slider never has bit me. I think the trick is to handle it alot when it is little. I think the reeves turtle stays small but a little research will help. I'd love to own heaps of tanks but I can't. Good luck with your reptile keeping.

leopard gecko would go well in the smaller tank.

big tank ok for a turtle but it doesnt hold water.

leopards vs bearded dragon

-leopards dont need lighting (so im told) so can basically be kept in very simple setups. youtube them, some keep them in plastic draw like things overseas. as its a pet it is probably fair to say you will want to make it more aesthetic. they are nocturnal yet mine will come out to eat if fed during the day.

-beardies need a basking light, and uv. 1200cm tank minimum, eat more but then im only new to geckos so may be wrong.

Im not so keen on water dragons, they make me nervous with their claws and whippy tails. I would like to be able to handle it. How do the needs of the bearded dragons differ to that of the leopards?

The bearded dragon at a young age eats mostly insects very little green .As it gets older this changes to mostly greens but still love it's insects to .

You will need a UVB bulb for your bearded right from a early age to make up the lack of sunlight .

Beards do well outside and love the room .. sleeping in winter and wakening to start a new .

I find mine sleep about 1 to 2 mouths ...

A leopard eats insects and only insects will not need a UVB bulb but will need a powder that it eats all the time

This is what gives it the calcium that it needs to grow right.

They are night animals and spend most the day asleep if left alone ..

Cannot be kept out side like the bigger reptiles ..

Mine being in a room and kept warm all the time ...

This is just part of what is different .

I have beardies and leps and with both I only handle them enough so they can be handled without going into shock. They are a solitary animal and only come together in the wild to fight or mate. Beardies will spend a lot of time basking during the day and seldom move apart from chasing live food. Leps spend most of the day in a hide and are most active morning and night. I would seriously suggest that if you want to cuddle a pet , get a kitten, even though I much prefer the reptiles. My guess is that by next breeding season beardies and leps will be about the same price, water dragons and bluies cheaper and tortoises about as silly as this season. Red eared turtles are becoming a throw away pet but snake necks and reeves are treated with a bit more respect because of the cost.

Thank for that alan :) I agree that turtles are becoming throw away pets, its terrible to see. I want to make sure I know what Im getting into so I can fully meet the needs of whatever I decide on.

Wasnt after a cuddly pet as such, but it would be neat if it could sit on my lap while I watch tv or have time out in the house when cats are away. Not really possible with a leopard but would a beardie do that?

I really like the fact that leopards dont need lighting or as much space, but Im concerned that I might not be able to supply the amount of live insects they need. Also am concerned that my cats might eat them, they are evil genius cats.

The leps are a lot easier to look after than beardies I think. You put a dish of calcium and one of water and they take what they need. Beardies you have to spray or bath as most don't recognise standing water and you have to put calcium on their food. I add a little vitamins to the calcium for leps and spray vitamins on the veg for beardies. If you can get them males of course don't have egg problems.

other thing i noticed with the two leopard geckos i had. is they always went toilet in the same corner, not sure if this is the norm, but that made cleaning up a breeze.

Yes this is normal for leps. I have found that you can move the first poop to the place you would prefer they use and they often use that spot. I moved my ones loo to an ice cream dish with toilet paper inside. Worked like a dream....so easy to clean, just tip it out into the loo!