Do I need to reinforce the tank?

bigfishhead

Hi Guys,

I just got a 900L tank. It has been use as marine tank for 5 years by previous owner with no problem. No leak at all according to previous owner.

I am going to use it as my malawi cichlids display tank.

Now it is empty and I am going to give it a good clean and fill it out with 20 % water to see if it leaks or not. The chances are low. As I can see the tank is in a good condition. Then make a good poly background and silicon it on to the back of the tank.

So if I fill the water up again to 100% and wait for a few days and still no leak. Do I need to redo tank silicon and reiforce the tank? Coz that is a lot of work.... I try to avoild that.

Is there some other way to test and see if the current tank and silicon is in good condition still? And it still can last for long time? So normally how long we need to reinforce the tank again after use?

Thanks guys.

I think i was looking at the same tank, was it the 1650x700x700mm tank with dual overflows, pine base? Awesome size, im gutted, its going to be one of those "i wish i had bought" tanks, I already regret not getting it!

If I bought it I was going to add a centre brace through the middle just for piece of mind, would be easier to add lids too then.

As far as silicon goes, it is probably fine, but again since i was thinking of adding braces i would have thought of doing the seams too while the shop had it.

Good luck setting it up, and ofcourse if you get sick of it, you know how to contact me 8)

hahaha...you r right duncan...that is the one. how do you know :D

Did you go there and had a look at the tank as well? ....

I remesure the tank and it is 1650 X 750 X 750...So it is about 900L.... :rotf:

But lots of work need to be done before I silicon a glass brace in the middle in order to put a lid on later on....

I need to get my nice poly background made and silicon in the back of the tank first.

Most important to make sure the tank is not leaking!!!

So....anyone? Who knows how to reinforce the tank easily?.... What you do with seams? do you cut the old silicon and redo the whole tank glass or just put extra silicon at seams?

:digH: :digH: :digH: :digH:

Most important to make sure the tank is not leaking!!!

So....anyone? Who knows how to reinforce the tank easily?.... What you do with seams? do you cut the old silicon and redo the whole tank glass or just put extra silicon at seams?

What exactly do you want to reinforce? Are there places that you think are weak?

If the silicon looks good its probably fine. If you want, without pulling the tank completely apart, you can cut the exterior silicon off lwith a blade and then using masking tape to mask off etc run a new bit of silicon down the seam. Its probably more an aesthetic thing rather than a structural. But you could go for black silicon or redo with clear.

Im no expert, so may pay to wait for someone more in the know.

If you change any silicone change it all. Tear the tank down to glass panes and put it back together again. If it looks good I wouldn't bother with the hassle of playing with silicone though.

By the sounds of it it needs a centre brace to fill to the top? I would put one on temporarily, fill the tank to the top as a test, empty, then remove the brace (a razor blade and some gentle love) and get to work on the background. This will be a lot easier than tearing it down and starting again.

you got me here "what exactly do you want to reinforce?"...

Im not sure to be honest... Basiclly just dont want this tank leaks with my full stock in the near future.

I will wait for some expert advice maybe...

should I or should not re silicon the whole tank.... :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm no expert so good idea in waiting for someone else.

Don't do it unless you have to. The only way to know if you have to is to fill it to the top. If you need to put a temporary centre brace on it to fill it up then that's the way to go. Once it's full see if it leaks. If it leaks then replace it. If not and it looks good go with what you've got.

By the sounds of it the tank has been seen by Duncan7 and all he was planning was a centre brace so it probably doesn't need a full rebuild.

I'll shut up now.

What is the thickness of the glass? And what bracing does it have on it already?

Re the silicone, it is only supposed to have a life span of 10years.. Sometimes it lasts longer sometimes it lasts less, it all depends on how it is has been treated and how clean the glass was when it was applied. A general indication of its condition is to have a look at it, if it is all white and has algae and crud underneath it or if it is badly peeling off then it is not a good start. If it is holding on and looking in good nick then it should be ok, there is no real way to tell and it is the risk that you take with buying second hand tanks. You can leak test it for a week fill it up and you can bet your money it will always fail when it is always full in your lounge lol. I had a 5ft tank with similar dimensions and leak tested it for a month filled it up in the fishroom filled with fish etc and the whole front pane of glass flexed let go at the bottom and dumped 500L on the floor. This was mainly because I had stored the tank outside in the weather sun/cold etc dry for over a year before using it so this damaged the silicone, this coupled with the fact the tank was 700 high so the extra water pressure helped blow it out.

As for leak testing always fill it completely, half filling it will tell nothing because leaks can develop with the added pressure of having it completely full.

Thanks obstacle and Ryan,

I know resilicon the whole tank is a big job, I try to avoid that...

The glass is 12mm on 4 sides and bottom but 10mm at the top. there is no center brace with the tank at moment. I need get one myself and silicon it on.

I think once the tank is delivered I will take a close look then fill it up full leave it for few weeks...

According to the seller the tank is custom made by greg 5 years ago. It has dual overflow at the top two coner at the back glass panel.

I am still thinking should I use a sump or just seal those two holes and put background on it and use FX5 instead.... any idea? :dunno:

Wait, what do you mean 10mm at the top? Is there a rim of bracing around the inside top of the tank? If so there's no need for a center brace, it would just be redundant. But if you want it so you can easily put lids on it there's no harm.

Yeah that is why I was asking what sort of bracing was on there.. Most tanks have euro bracing which means a centre brace isn't required, and you can sit your lids on the bracing so no real need for a centre brace.

If the tank is only 5yrs old and silicone is in good condition then it should be fine, just leak test and inspect for chips etc.

I would be inclined to try and setup a sump for a tank of that size, especially if it already has twin overflows.. You should be able to put something together for less than the cost of an FX5.. Does it have any plumbing with it?

IIRC from the auction it has 10mm bracing at each end on the top, i cant remember seeing any bracing down the front or back.

I would set up the sump definately, tank had some plumbing with it, but not complete. Is he giving you the old sump he said he had under the house? He mentioned the buyer could take it if they wanted. Worth a look at the least if its free. You could always make one of the overflows a return?

Yes, I can get the original PVC pipe from the seller and connect down into the cabinet.

But I got two FX5, one is used in my 760L tank and one is the backup. I am going to completely stop my 760L tank when this new 900L tank setup and running and transfer my stock in to the new tank. So I can run two FX5 on this tank or just put one on and one as back up.

Also the noise of the sump pump, space in the cabinet for sump and size of the sump… I might just go with the easy way… Seal up those two overflow and cover it with poly background and use FX5….

But still, to build a sump could be a very interesting and challenging project for me. As I never tried sump filtering before. :bounce: :bounce:

I am still look around on the web and see which way I should go....HMMMMM.... :facepalm: :facepalm:

Wait, what do you mean 10mm at the top? Is there a rim of bracing around the inside top of the tank? If so there's no need for a center brace, it would just be redundant. But if you want it so you can easily put lids on it there's no harm.

this tank sound like my tank.. :sage:

should check out my pick for some brace advise.. :slfg: :slfg:

You could use the overflows for the fx5 inlet and outlet with the right adapters.

yea, i thought about that...but the overflow holes are huge....compares to the FX5 intake and output pipes...I really need find right adapter and make sure those holes are sealed up properly. So that I can still fill up the water right to the top. This probably more sounds like a plan...I would try this first.

IIRC from the auction it has 10mm bracing at each end on the top, i cant remember seeing any bracing down the front or back.

I would set up the sump definately, tank had some plumbing with it, but not complete. Is he giving you the old sump he said he had under the house? He mentioned the buyer could take it if they wanted. Worth a look at the least if its free. You could always make one of the overflows a return?

yes, I had a look under the house and the sump tank is there and it is aprox 200L. He NEVER cleaned it and it is in leaking condition as well. you can imagine whats looks like inside that sump.... :facepalm: So I give up... Too much work and hassle.... also even for the sump option I am looking for a sump that I can put inside the cabinet, less noise? which means I need to custom make one....

I will still take those overflow plumbing PVC pipe just in case I go with sump...... BTW those pipes are HUGE too....It does not looks like anything in the auction photos... :o:o

Im going to pick them up next week. :nilly: :nilly: :nilly: I will upload some pics when I get it.

Grab the sump if its free, atleast then it is still an option. Surely it will fit inside the cabinet? There was no central leg in the cabinet and two big doors... which reminds me, i would probably add a central leg of some sort to the stand :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

duncan,

I was very busy last few weeks. I end up stand and tank only. Also the plumbing PVC pipes in the back.

I just got tank and stand cleaned at moment.

I look at the silicon in the tank. at the bottom half of the tank, the condition of the silicon is great just like new.

But on the top half of the tank it seems like corrode by salt sea water. The silicon is not very good.

I haven't fill up the tank with water yet. I'll try to put some photo up this weekend. I want to hear what you guys think first.... may be need to redo the silicon...hmmmm