Newbie with a biggggg pond or is it a lake?????

Siona Mack

What a wonderful site - I have learnt so much reading this - was up far too late last night!

I have just moved onto a property with a large pond/lake - when do they change from ponds to lakes???

Was in the Waikato and due to flow had those horrible little fish that eat every thing - no frogs no nothing.

Have just moved to Warkworth and have inherited a huge pond - when does it become a lake?

About 1/4 of an ac and up to 20 ft deep in parts, established 8 - 9 yrs ago. Planted with water lillies in parts - and marginal plants.

Fairly clear water depending on rainflow.

The only wildlife i have noted - after hours of staring and night lighting - is eels - am happily feeding them - some must be very old as they are huge!

A fast running steam also runs through the property - full of eels too.

Sad to see such a great body of water befefit of life - but do I just not see it?

Any ideas on what is going on here or visitor who can further educate me very welcome.

On another note I grew up at WGP - and caught huge wierd fish in a creek behind parents - runs up from a beach - always let 'em go - but was facinated by them. no stripes - spots. After reading about all the pollution and physical land changes affecting native fish populations I feel quite sad about them and wonder what they were and if they are still there?

Looking forward to being educated by the very knowlegable folk on this site.

Thanks, Siona.

Hi Siona. Since there are large eels in there your pond, or lake, is not bereft of life at all. Not only the eels, but the eels must feed on something.

Where's Stella? She is our native expert and may have a better idea of what else to look for.

I gather the stream does not connect to the pond/lake?

BigBossPants may have the right idea re the difference between the two.

The lake is fed via a swampland that runs down from the hills behind me that lead up to the Dome Valley Reserve. No clear water way rather a wide grass, rush filled swamp that can have a great water flow during wet weather.

The fast flowing creek has the pond run off into it- there is an uphill join (manmade) between the two - I doubt anything other than eels can negotiate it.

cheers, siona.

It is a beautiful lake - the property has featured in house and garden several times - sub tropical/tropical plantings.

I have lost my camera - pc cable in the move - when I get a new one I will post pics.

What interests me is the dearth of pondlife............3 resident ducks - few pukekoes - my dogs keeps most away.

cheers, siona.

The only wildlife i have noted - after hours of staring and night lighting - is eels - am happily feeding them - some must be very old as they are huge!

A fast running steam also runs through the property - full of eels too.

Sad to see such a great body of water befefit of life - but do I just not see it?

Any ideas on what is going on here or visitor who can further educate me very welcome.

hey, sounds impressive!

If you want to be sure eels are all you got in there, which doesn't sound to likely, Id be happy to bring some nets and traps up and have a look with you?

I live in albany, so not tooooo far away, but would have to find a ride up there.

ENVY!!! :)

Does it have an outlet connecting (eventually) to the sea, with no barriers? That could explain a lack of other fish, as most need to go to sea for part of their lifecycle.

A lot of councils are happy to provide advice and kits so you can look at the health of Lake Pond. Most stuff is aimed at streams but I am sure they would be able to help with lake stuff, especially given the appalling and steadily degrading state of most of our standing waters. It might actually be a good idea to look into this anyway, then you can do something about it to stop it becoming a problem for you.

Spotlighting at night is definitely a good way of looking for fish. Take cichlidcentral up on his offer of trapping it! Sounds like fun.

Councils and DOCs are super keen to help people who want to look after their natural sites, and there can be funding available for riparian fencing and planting.

:bounce:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi that sounds awesome you should visit Mahurangi Technical Institute they are based in Warkworth so are not far from you. They have a wide knowledge base on Native Fish and probably can help you identify any species in the pond/lake. :hail: Phone them and ask for Dave Cooper.

For help with planting and the likes there is a company based in Red Beach known as Wetland Solutions who provide help and funding for planting. Their website is http://www.wetland.co.nz/

Good Luck :D