Thoughts on routine medication?

Sophia

Some reading on levamisole http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Just wondering what others think of this stuff, I see some are already using it.

I am *thinking* of worming my loaches to see if I can get the 2 skinny ones to fatten up a bit.

Levamisole yes it works well as can get in an all wormer now. You can buy this from Bird Barn in Henderson lincoln rd.

Some reading on levamisole http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Just wondering what others think of this stuff, I see some are already using it.

I am *thinking* of worming my loaches to see if I can get the 2 skinny ones to fatten up a bit.

Yeah it works well, but only for certain worms, same with prazi and panacure.. It is very much hit and miss unfortunately.. You can get Levamisole from most petshops as a bird wormer called aviverm.

A lot of nativefish keepers maintain various levels of salt in their tanks as an ongoing 'preventative'.

Personally I disagree with this for two reasons:

Firstly could lead to selecting for salt-tolerance microbes in your tank, which is not good as salt is the safest treatment for common native fish diseases.

But primarily because the minor surface changes and infections etc that commonly happen over summer are a really useful warning sign that the fish are stressed and conditions are not right. Those warnings give you a chance to sort things out before they get nasty. Without those warnings things could suddenly go from normal to nasty.

For a long time I pondered the virtues of treating all native fish as they come in from the wild. They must be quarantined anyway (ok some don't, but the risks are huge), and the stress of the first few weeks in captivity often causes disease. The whitespot parasite can be eliminated at this point with salt, but most other diseases that native fish contract are opportunistic and in the water of every tank anyway. I am not a fan of subjecting fish to medication/salt unnecessarily, but it also dramatically cuts the risk of disease in the initial stressful weeks, or of contracting dangerous whitespot in the future.

Having dealt with a lot of newly-captured fish in recent months and learned a bit more I am now a fan of salting (1tsp/L) ALL new fish during their three week quarantine.

So in summary ;) for native fish I disagree with ongoing 'just in case' medication, but support quarantine medication.

Yeah when I kept killies I had salt in the water as I was told they are OK or prefer it and I think it was useful because they were forever bashing themselves on things in their love-scuffles. Since I got catfish though I stopped it and have no sort of chemical in the water other than the chlorine removing stuff.

Just remember that those 'other' worming tablets like Drontal and Vita Pet contain other active ingredients (ie they are broad spectrum), not just praziquantel. Droncit only contains Praziquantel.

I wouldn't use them unless I knew what impact those other active ingredients would have on fish.

Just remember that those 'other' worming tablets like Drontal and Vita Pet contain other active ingredients (ie they are broad spectrum), not just praziquantel. Droncit only contains Praziquantel.

I wouldn't use them unless I knew what impact those other active ingredients would have on fish.

Yes so it is better to get the Vita pet All wormer as kills more and is less then half the price.

vita pet all wormer for cats is only 25mg prazi + who knows

vita pet all wormer for dogs is 50mg prazi + 542mg oxantel pamoate + 143mg pyrantel pamoate

im going to see if it will kill snails :D

be results I had from Vita all wormer is 1 Tab in a 50-60 ltr. slugs ,snails guppy fry all okay. Only the week will die. More chance of deaths and more worms and Disease to the fish from our Auckland drinking water. That kills ye snails real fast.

kill the host = cure the weak :thup:

snails can be host to parasites.

i wouldnt normally care, but have good reason to suspect they're carriers of a parasite causing deformities in my tadpoles/frogs. 99% sure i have indentified them (under microscope) in my tank. fascinating stuff, a lil :nilly: even

prazi kills some snails i think. fenbendazole kills most snails, planaria maybe even hydra. good little spin offs from medicating. i no expert though, just starting to look into meds.

be results I had from Vita all wormer is 1 Tab in a 50-60 ltr. slugs ,snails guppy fry all okay. Only the week will die. More chance of deaths and more worms and Disease to the fish from our Auckland drinking water. That kills ye snails real fast.

I don't understand why you would use chemicals that are not proved/recommended for use on fish.

If your intent is to utilise the Praziquantel part of the Vita Pet All Wormer, then you are under-dosing your tank. The generally accepted minimum of Prazi is 2.5mg/l, the dose you are using is 1mg/l or less. Which is not only a waste of time and money, but potentially counter-productive as it can cause drug resistance.

On the other side, you are dosing your tank with 13.7mg/l of active chemicals, that are not proved/recommended for that use. That is a large dose of the usual safe fish treatments, let alone unproven ones. Try and increase that dose by 2.5 times (in order to get the correct dose of Prazi) and see what happens. :facepalm:

I don't understand why you would use chemicals that are not proved/recommended for use on fish.

If your intent is to utilise the Praziquantel part of the Vita Pet All Wormer, then you are under-dosing your tank. The generally accepted minimum of Prazi is 2.5mg/l, the dose you are using is 1mg/l or less. Which is not only a waste of time and money, but potentially counter-productive as it can cause drug resistance.

On the other side, you are dosing your tank with 13.7mg/l of active chemicals, that are not proved/recommended for that use. That is a large dose of the usual safe fish treatments, let alone unproven ones. Try and increase that dose by 2.5 times (in order to get the correct dose of Prazi) and see what happens. :facepalm:

Well that's great to know. Well they have worked great in that dose for me. Must be the other goodies that is doing the good work. So for even better results I should up the dose to 2.5 tablets to get a slight over dose on the prazi for a 50-60 ltr.

I used to buy the liquid form prazi from lfs but cost to high and never really worked.

The Vita pet all wormer works in 50-60 ltr for my fish 1 tab. WHY ?.

I do not water change after wards just the usual top ups.

I might have stumbled onto a winner.

But if you say that is not enough to work to its fullest potential.

I will be best to use 2 tablets or up to 2.5 tab per 50-60 ltr.

Thank you very much for this information on dosage.

I will continue with the lighter dose but if any infection shows up after I will bang it hard on the bigger Over dose. :thup:

That's not so cheap nearly $7- a 50-60 ltr tank.

• 4 months later...

I can see one problem so far

It is recommended to remove all drinking water a couple of hours prior to giving them the Aviverm treated water, this way your birds will all get a good even dose. Make sure there is no other drinking water present before or during treatment.

I can see one problem so far

It is recommended to remove all drinking water a couple of hours prior to giving them the Aviverm treated water, this way your birds will all get a good even dose. Make sure there is no other drinking water present before or during treatment.

yes but with fish liveing in water they wont be able to not drink it :sml1:

that reminds me of this joke

irish man takes his goldfish to the vet,says its epileptic the vet says "it looks calm enough to me" man sez i havent taken it out of the bowl yet!!