What makes a good filter

Bishop

or even a bad one.

I am in the process of designing my own filtration system :cofn: and before I spend money on development I would like to know different peoples opinions on their filtration.

- what do you like about your filter.

- what don't you like ect.

Also anything technical is fine.

Thanks in advance

For me it's the ability to turn over a lot of water without it seeming like there's a raging torrent in the tank. I guess that comes down to large spray bars and intakes and the ability to position the outlets to create the right amount of flow in the right direction. I'd also like something that can handle a LOT of bio media but always after the water has been totally polished.

In a sump I'd like to do something like - wide sponge -> dense sponge -> filter wool -> 50 micron filter bag -> filter wool -> as a polishing tower (the filter bags will do the most polishing but the sponge/foam before the bags will stop them from clogging up after 2 days). Then just a massive amount of submerged media then into a relevantly sized pump with large output pipes so as not to 'jet' back into the tank.

Also maybe an inline heater and co2 reactor could be put in the sump or at least in the mix.

Turnover to me is key, and catching fine particulates to ensure clarity.

Bio filtration is mega as my tank is heavily stocked.

A good filter is simple so there really isnt anything that can go wrong.

good filter is solid and reliable.

Turn over and a large amount of bio filtration is key for me.

i have a simple sump set up and works perfectly.

Thanks for the responses.

Does any body care about what it looks like visually?

A filter that isn't made from cheap plastic, i hate it when things break/snap easily.

So plastics are fine but not cheap plastic. Metal is out of the question because of workability and cost but I have been thinking about other materials.

Keep it coming guys all good stuff.

If you are designing an off the shelf unit then along with the stuff that henwood has mentioned price and reliability and availability of parts are a biggie too :)

Either you just called me henward or you can tell the future. I'd like to think you can predict the future - got any hot lotto tips?

Either you just called me henward or you can tell the future. I'd like to think you can predict the future - got any hot lotto tips?

Wow I have no idea what happened there but I could have swore you were henwood :) Oh well ill just roll with it, was probably posting on my phone which makes it hard work so ill blame it on that.. My hot lotto tips - don't buy them because I am going to win so your wasting your money..

Thanks for the responses.

Does any body care about what it looks like visually?

So plastics are fine but not cheap plastic. Metal is out of the question because of workability and cost but I have been thinking about other materials.

Keep it coming guys all good stuff.

People have made them using buckets with a pump on the outside, layer the inside with sponge/bio balls etc, attach the pump to either the inlet/outlet hose (depends if it pushes or sucks water) then feed one end down the bottom under the media and the other at the top and presto you have a basic home made cannister filter. Ofcourse you could buy one for nearly the same price