Are apisto eggs light sensitive?

the-obstacle

It seems one of my 2 remaining agassizi females has spawned with the addition of the new male. I found this out by up-turning the pot she was guarding (I had a suspicion) and viewing the eggs in the light.

Have I stuffed them up?

I'm considering removing the pot and female and putting them into a plain tank to grow them out. I need to do this before they hatch clearly so I've got a day or 2 left at most. Otherwise I suspect they'll be eaten by the tetra which is usually the ultimate outcome with my cockatoos.

WOO HOO! I'll put a floating tank in the main tank so they get the same water/temp and an airstone on full blast. I don't have any meth blue unfotunately... I'll take my chances this time.

Oh, Ryan - I've got the cockatoo tank down to 1 male and 2 females (including yours) and they're all a whole lot happier. I'm hoping to see her colour up in the next few days/weeks.

As Ryan says light wont directly harm the eggs but fungi seems to grow better with light so I usually cover the tanks anyway. You wont have hurt the eggs by having a look.

Have 50+ agassizi fry growing out now and had 150+ cockatoos from 3 spawns growing but they get to 20mm, just starting to colour up, bloat up and die. Lost over 3/4 of them in the last 6 weeks. It would be really nice to get some new bloodlines.

As Ryan says light wont directly harm the eggs but fungi seems to grow better with light so I usually cover the tanks anyway. You wont have hurt the eggs by having a look.

Have 50+ agassizi fry growing out now and had 150+ cockatoos from 3 spawns growing but they get to 20mm, just starting to colour up, bloat up and die. Lost over 3/4 of them in the last 6 weeks. It would be really nice to get some new bloodlines.

Fingers crossed I get somewhere with both sets then. I'lll go and invest in some meth blue tomorrow morning just in case. Just to be sure - what colour should the eggs be when fertilised?

edit: never mind - about 50% of the eggs are brown and the rest are white so I assume the male did half the job.

I'm up for a bloodline trade if and when they grow out if you like? I've got 2 males at the moment who are sharing a tank with guppies while the alpha does his thing with the ladies.

let me know, i will make you tank full. :sage:

Sounds good. I lost my male agassizi and all the eggs (in 2 separate incidents) so now I'm re-thinking what to do with apistos all together.

I've pretty much thinned out the cockatoo tank to just the 2 females and 1 male and a few cardinals for company. I'm guessing if I took the cardinals out they'd start breeding? They've only ever bred for me with more fish in the tank, not less so I'm not really sure what to do.