heavily planted tank

Brianemone

Sorry, couldn't resist that.

My tank is growing well with a clay base. I used Dalton's aquatic mix for the clay - about $15 for a big bag and available at garden centres - Suphew recommended it.

He mixes his with peat but I just used the clay and put peat in the filter. I used about 2" of clay and covered that with 2" or more of gravel.

Cheers

Jude

I got that from a garden centre too - its the same brand (Dalton's) and according to Suphew and the garden centre man, it is pure peat with no additives at all.

The garden centre is called Twiglands and I am not sure if they are local or national. You might have to ask a garden centre to order it in for you but its a lot cheaper than anything from pet stores.

Cheers

Jude

what do i need to put in to make it successful?? substrate?

the size of your tank will determine the number of plant you will put into it. next determine the type of plant you would want to explore.

most will go with the hardy plant as their mid and back section.

if you choose plants that is red in colour, that will mean you will need a stronger light and fertilizer that have a strong dosage of iron.

the number of fishes will depend on the size of the fish. the more fish you have will determine the frequency of water changes. base on the rules of thumb, once a week or twice a week will be OK. i have heard that some hobbist do not change water at all. they depend strongly on the cycle of fish waste to be used up by the plant. i personally do not think so as the plant will not assorb 100% of the fish waste which will turn toxic in due time. thus changing of water is required (20- 30%).

if you have not done any substrate fertilizer, you may want to consider using root fertilizer which prove itself effective. liquid fertilizer will eccential as nutrient will inevitably use up be the plant. some will add the fertilizer after changes of water.

i have read some books that says a basic requirement for lighting is 50 watts per 100 litre of tank water. somewhere around there or higher is desirable.

CO2 is not necessary but are required by some plants. it also promote a health growth. think of it this way, we can get by with a healthy sandwich but with proper nutrient such as exercise to stimulate healthy grow, we human will be more alert and happier. do not know whethre that made sense.

i am sure that are much more other hobbist can contribute.

Cheers

I mix my own liquid fertiliser Brian and can sell you some cheap if you'd like (120ml in those water ager dripper bottles), for a fast growing successful heavy planted tank you will need good lighting (4W/gallon | 1W litre), CO2, and fertiliser, and underheating coils I hear help heaps as Matt has confirmed (although not essential) :)

Cheers

Strewth!!

(4W/gallon | 1W litre)

Is that what you run Luke?? I thought I was heading up towards the high end of the scale with 5x30W on a 250(ish) litre tank. I dont think i have enough room to fit another 3 tubes across the top of my tank :o or should that be 8) ??

I would be very interested to know the tubes your running, and what plants you are growing. I would like to start growing some of the bigger swords now I have good crops of cambomba & hygro.

John

4w/gallon | 1W/litre is what I wish I had but I only have 160W/300 litres (75 gallons) which = basically 2W/gallon or 0.5W/litre. I have easy to grow plants: ambulia, java fern, some palmey plant I'm not sure which it is, wisteria, rotala, and a few grassy ones in the foreground. I tried some red plant but it didn't survive even with ferts, not enough light I'd say, or perhaps it was outcompeted by the other fast growing plants.

My tubes are grow-lux, 4 X 40 W bulbs, 2 aqua one units that house 2 bulbs each.