Keeping tempurature in line...

Funkytown

So how do I cool my tank down?

I've noticed over the last few days of decent weather (finally) the temp of my 34 litre AquaOne setup as indicated by my cheapy thermometer is climbing out of the "Green Zone" towards 27-28 degrees. I had the heater set to 24, and I've turned it down further to 23ish, but I think the light and ambient temp are really to blame. I'm thinking if I can get the tank to cool down at night to around 23-24ish, then it'll be sweet for the next day. This is an untested thought though. Right now the tank seems to be good at retaining heat built up over the day, even with the light off, and doesn't seem to get below 26.

Anybody have problems with overheating tanks before? I'm thinking of just doing a partial water change with some cooler water, but I'd have to do it slowly so not to shock the fish. I think if I can just get it down to the 24 range, then it will cycle around that temp throughout the day, instead of where it is now. Any thoughts? Should I even worry about it? Am reluctant to make any major changes as the fish are still swimming as-is.

Thanks,

Brian

If the temperature of the "day" is affecting your tank. Even the removal of the heater/stat will not stop it. May have to start floating iceblocks in plastic bags.

Is that okay? Does that create too much of a cold "draft" for the fish? Could I just throw in an ice-cube or two (sans the margarita mix)? ;)

It's overcast today. Might rain... :roll:

A) Yes most people have problems with temp (unless you live in Dunedin, lol)

B) 26-27 degrees isn't a problem, my discus tank has been running at 29-30 degrees for years with no problems for tetra, bristlenose (breeding), etc.

C) Trying to change the temp will cause you far more problems, and prob kill you fish.

D) Your heater, is a 'heater' turning it down WILL NOT cool down your tank

E) Alan suggest you let all the marine guys know they can turn off their fans, pretty much all of us use them to keep our tanks cool. But seriouesly the reason they work is because they "just blow air round" this removes the heat from your lights etc plus causes evaperation which 'draws' energy (i.e. heat) out of the water.

D) Your heater, is a 'heater' turning it down WILL NOT cool down your tank.

Yeah, I figured. The thought was that if the heater was switching on to keep the temp up during the night, then maybe lowering that "night-time" temp would result in a lower "daytime" temp. I don't think the heater is turning on at all now though...

Thanks for the advice guys. I won't sweat it (even if my fish do). ;)

Brian

Suphew, I didn't mention the salties at all, or infer what you are saying.

I relize about the heat dispersion for lights as I do it myself. But if the ambient temp is 30 then a fan is just moving 30o air around.

In fact thinking about it, it may even warm the water up a bit more.

But if you want to go for evaporation to cool down the temp.

Drape the tank with damp towels, these evaporaing causes the inside temp. to drop.

Remember the old canvas water bottles?

Guess not, not many would now.

That is how they produced drinkable water, temp. wise.

Alan 104

We remove the lids (assuming you have no fish who like to jump out), turn the lights off (I think that is why marines use fans, to disperse the heat from the hot lights they use) and if the temp goes over 28C we float frozen Slikka pads in the tank. You can also fill a 2L or 3L juice or fizzy bottle with water and freeze it then float that in the tank. Depending on the size of the tank you use larger or smaller bottles. Experiment.

Sorry Alan, I wasn't trying to offend, just poking a bit of fun.

Still dont agree through, water is water doesn't matter if it has salt in it (as far as temps go anyway), the differences is marines have far more pumps lights etc etc, therefore more unwanted heat. Moving air uses energy (i.e. removes heat), think about wind chill, the air temp is the same (cause its the same air) but because its moving it draws heat off you (evaperation/sweat). I have been in 40+ degree heat overseas and a breeze blowing at 40 degree still feels cooler.

I agree towels, frozen water bottles etc all work, but do you really want to have to keep changing them all day? Buy a $10 fan from the warehouse, problem solved.

I see a new project comming up, I am having issues with our tanks raising to above 30 Deg C as well, reading that its fine for a day or so is ok but if this fine weather keeps up or we have a good sumer next year I can see issues.

Might be time to actually get to work on a cooling chamber system. I had better add that to my list.

Hi all

Drawing on Alan's post, is it possible to use a piece of material as a wick to draw water out of the tank and then evaporate? I would imagine that the material could hang just into the water, over the edge of the tank and then sit flat against a side of the tank. The subsequent evaporation from the damp material would draw heat from the tank water (and through the glass). You could even assist the evaporation with the use of a fan.

Just an idea...have no clue whether it would work in practice.

BTW my first ever post in (any) forum :D

FG

Hi and welcome FG. Perhaps you would like to tell us a bit about yourself in the Introduction section?

Don't know if your idea would work. I doubt it could cool anything enough but have no idea, never having tried such a thing.

Not sure I would want material drawing water out of my tank either :D

cool the water??

hehe - coming from up north of scotland way that really does sound like make believe!

at the height of our summer we dont even come close to warm enough. And for 6 months of the year my heater/thermostat forgets it even has a bimetallic strip. :roll: