Sowing the s(eaw)eeds of love

Deepsound

Hi there :)

Here's a new cold water marine tank.

There's an incredible diversity of seaweeds and they can be as much interesting as corals imo. So I'd like to setup a saltwater planted tank with sponges, sabellas and may be some cerianthus or gobiidae.

DSB tank : 53 cm / ~60 L

Lighting : FC 2 x 24 w - 10.000 K

Flow pumps : 1 New wave 1000 (2.5w), 1 koralia nano.

img_3816.jpg

(blue / white lighting)

DSB tank : 53 cm / ~60 L

Lighting : FC 2 x 24 w - 10.000 K

Flow pumps : 1 New wave 1000 (2.5w), 1 koralia nano.

So let me get this straight - I have been watching the saltwater threads for a while and this looks like you have no filter/sump/skimmer ??

Do you get fresh seawater for the water change? And are you going to put some critters in?

When I ran my cold water marine I only had a HOB filter. No sump and no skimmer. Never had problems. When I topped up the tank I used sea water.

mmm, we all did things in "the old days" like that BUT (sorry Caryl), you should not even try that in a marine tank.

I hope this tank is mature (at least 8 weeks for just part of the cycle) before anything inclding weed has been added, and like someone else said, you are doing daily water changes, if no filtration.

How long has your tank been set up?? If recently, those seaweeds are going to die, then pollute your tank.

Could be wrong but i think you need to do some more research.

You certainly do not, repeat do not, top up a marine tank with seawater, water changes yes, topping up no - salt does not evaporate and all you will do is slowly increase your salinity until everything dies.

I did not know until after I had been happily running the tank for over 2 years that it was not the "right way".

It rarely got water changes but stuff was breeding in there and all seemed happy enough.

I would not recommend everyone did it this way, I merely said that was how I did it with my cold marine. It was not that long ago either, only about 10 yrs or so. It is how I will do the next one too if I ever get around to setting it up.

The only reason I shut down the other one was I did not have a chiller and it got too hot here in summer. I have a chiller now, just haven't had the oomph to set another tank up. Besides, I have lent the tank to a ChCh refugee.

No offence meant, just giving some help.

It's Ok :)

This tank is mature (1 yo) and run as a DSB - Deep Sand Bed (8 to 15 cm of sand).

So I don't need any skimmer or filter as well. Weekly water change (~10%) when I started to add things. But it's possible to do less without any problem and just add some osmosis water in order to compensate evaporation. No problem to add some corals but I just wanted to try to setup a kind of planted tank in a marine version. I got another one with soft corals.

See more infos about DSB with Ronald L. Shimek :

- http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

The only problem, as Caryl said, is the temperature during summer !

With some good fan(s), it's been ok last year.

There is another similar method called "Jaubert". But the granularity of the sand is different (thicker) and there is a 3cm of free space under the sand. And it works very well.

I like to emulate nature, in a low tech way.

The future imo.