Pond top up in christchurch earthquake zone. Sumner!

dino

Need help here. :dunno:

Normally I just top up my ponds (one for babies, the other for adults) using tap water, as Christchurch water was untreated. &c:ry

These are quite small ponds.

But now the water is treated! how do I top up? Is rainwater any good? Can I add small amounts of tap water (smells quite strong of chlorine).

Never had to Dechlore before, do not know how. Does anyone know what type of chlorine they are using here?

Do you just add chemicals to the pond and top up? :dunno: can I get away without using chemicals?

I have baby orandas in one pond.

Thanks, So many questions!

Dino

Get a large container into which you can put the water, add treatment, then tip into pond.

Normally I would say small top ups wouldn't hurt but if the chlorine smell is that strong, and you never know what else is in the water there at the moment, I would err on the side of caution and use treatment.

I would gather rain water too if you can.

Thanks guys, what I have done is put a barrel to collect rain water from roof, and in that barrel I placed a pump to pump the water into the pond. Only need to switch the pump on for 5 secs then boyles law takes over as we live on the hill.

I read somewhere that rain water, because of roof and air pollution was not good to use. But hey, this is an emergency.

I would prefer not to use chemicals, mainly because I have not got any at the moment.

Should I put some meth blue into the baby oranda pond just in case?

Thanks

I phoned the CCC and was put through to 'water and waste management'...(or something like that). They looked up on the computer for me and were able to tell me what the levels of chlorine were all over the city. Areas near pumping stations (like me) had higher levels. Areas that were badly affected by the quake...like Brighton and I guess Sumner had even higher levels. Places like Hornby right through to the airport had no chlorine added at all. Even parts of the hills had no chlorine. Levels ranged from 0.2 in Woolston, 0.64 in my area to 0.9 in Brighton. Nothing was higher than 0.9 ppm on the day I phoned. You may find it helpful to give them a call and ask what the levels are? :) Definately sounds like a good idea with the barrel and pump :thup:

How much water do you need to change? If you need to do a lot I have sodium thiosulphate here that is the active ingredient in the commercial additives to neutralize chlorine and chloramines. If you want to pick it up you can have it for free. You will need 3 grams to treat 1000 litres

All sorted :lol: ..I think. :roey:

I placed a gauge switch on my barrel that switches on after the barrel reaches a certain level, the pump then switches on for 10 secs via a timer. Gravity then does the rest, till empty.

I have more then topped up the pond now, and I will continue to use this system even for my veggies.

I do sacrifice the first barrel load as it may contain contaminants from the first rain roof wash.

Maybe I should market such a barrel. :thup:

Last question is:

Is rainwater safe? given that we live in Sumner Christchurch where air pollution is ok. I also keep out possums and rats from leaving their droppings on the roof.