silica sand

brad3d

The Goldfish Bowl in heaphy terrace sells black silica sand, its about $27 for 10kgs. Its fine for all fish, especially those that like to dig.

Pros: looks good

Cons: needs to be cleaned slightly more often than gravel.

If your on a budget then yes you can use builders, pit,paving and river sand that is sold in hardware shops - rinse it before use tho.

if you hav enough bottom dwellers to disturb the sand, dirt floats and gets sucked up by the filter.

but yes, if you have timid fish, you will need to syphon the surface of the sand.

i love silica, all my tanks are white silica.

im gonna do a black silica with my main tank soon

if you hav enough bottom dwellers to disturb the sand, dirt floats and gets sucked up by the filter.

but yes, if you have timid fish, you will need to syphon the surface of the sand.

i love silica, all my tanks are white silica.

im gonna do a black silica with my main tank soon

Black silica is shiny, if you can try find something that is matte - looks better imo

hate silica sand all the crap shows like a fly in milk!

Agree lol! I used to have white silica sand in my previous tank, but every bit of leftover food/ waste/ driftwood raspings was always visible. It annoyed me so much that some of it was always on the other side of the filter intake and it looked so ugly. Now I'm using small gravel which hides all the junk lol. I don't mind vacuuming it because I know that it won't get sucked up like silica sand and my tank bottom looks so much better lol.