Need schooling on frogs asap!

David R

Mum has gone on holiday for a couple of months, she has two frogs that she had as tadpoles in her classroom [school teacher] and got attached to and couldn't get rid of. She had told dad to let them go after she'd left, but I said thats not such a good idea and have therefore inherited them!! We've got an empty 4x2x2 enclosure from our beardy which I'll set up for them, but I've got no idea what I'm doing!

Do they need UV?

Are flies a suitable staple diet?

How much water should they have?

What should I use for substrate and what kind of terrestrial plants are suitable?

Anyone got a link to an idiots guide to keeping frogs?????

wouldnt bother using uv with whistlers (being nocturnal), wouldnt hurt having a low uv output bulb for bell frogs.

flies ok but not the best. try get some locusts, crickets, moths, slaters etc into the diet.

only need a little bit of water (1/3 or less). keep clean. have seen many set ups with way too much water, simply not needed and just reduces areas for the frogs to forage.

substrate can be much the same as fish tanks. i use daltons propagating sand a lot (with a few river stones to bulk it out/create depth/land areas etc). and or river sand. i do try cover the substrate in javamoss/xmas moss to get a lawn effect also lessening the chance of the frogs eating the substrate.

Hey David there are some great frog displays at Ti Point Reptile Park if you can be bothered driving out there. Those frogs look like they have a good life. You have to walk the whole track though, they are dotted in different places. Is $15 to get in for an adult.