Yay arow !!!!!

albinomike

there are two trains of thought with arowanas

in asia, very commonly, they will put the arowana by itself in a tank, with about 10 to 20% to spare of width in tank compared to its maximum body length, it just swims back and fourth.

2D really

OR giving the arowana chance to be able to jet around in different angles, so at leats 50% more compared to its width. so it can shoot around, even hunt or at least pretend to.

depends on you

i have seen massive high grade expensive arowanas in tanks just same as its width almost, and they are healthy, big and nice colours....

quality of life..thats another thing.

im sure a dog can survive, and be healthy being in a pen for its whole life but if you put a dog in a slightly bigger paddock or run, it will be happier right?

so yeah, depends really

i would say a 50cm aro in a 60 cm width.... sure thats fine, if you put it in a tank thats 80... would be much happier... just my opinion.

Agree with the rest, probably best not to introduce any tank mates which swim in the middle/ top. Even at the bottom, it's a bit of a risk because apparently jardinis feed from all levels of the tank..? Something I've heard, but maybe someone can confirm this? Especially since the jardini's already in the tank, adding new tank mates would be intruding on HIS territory now, so they're going to suffer. Plecos should be OK, but mine gets its fins nipped by my green all the time. Would advise against an oscar, even though many people/ logic would say that it's possible. I got one recently and had to remove him after a few days - he was so badly beaten up. The aro basically forced him to stay in a corner of the tank and wouldn't let him come to the middle/ top. Now I've got an excuse for a second tank! :happy2:

..but yeah, jardinis are known to be cra-zyyyy, so just be careful. :wink:

with jardinii, from experience all other feedback i have found that one of the remote success is this

1) fish too fast

2) tank huge enough to escape from jar

3) LOTS OF FISH introd in one go.

YOu require all of the above for the right recipe, unless youare lucky with a small jar to begin with but even then they MAY snap

Plecos have been known to be destroyed by jars, but they stand a better chance providing they have hiding spots, during evenings they will come out when jar is sleeping i guess.

i say just leave it by itself

down side of jars i guess

haha ive put in ten tetras and are all happy atm haha looks funny jar looks at them but wont eat them hes just starting to eat his shrimp again

Maybe it's the theory that the other fish are too small to be worth chasing down for food.. Something about the calories consumed being worth the effort put in catching the food..