Clown Loach =(

Zdoda

So today bought a medium sized clown loach from HF mt roskill, have him in quarantine tank, as i am not happy in the fishes behaviour/look but alas since i am new to owning Clown loaches.

he isn't very active and is slumping to one side, is this common or what could be wrong? :-?

I tested my quarantine tank, PH 6.5, no ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. 26c Temp.

Did you only buy the 1? Clown loaches are great at just lying there and doing nothing.. They are particularly good at doing it when they are by themselves they should really be in groups, I have never seen their true behaviour until I kept a group of 10 of them and they are always out and about eating off the surface etc :)

Did you just buy one? It will be ok once added to the group of smaller ones but will probably sulk for a while during its solitary confinement.

They do rest on their sides, its a normal part of their behavior. If I had a dollar for every time someone had said "you've got a dead fish" only to see the clown 'wake up' and scoot off...

Having come from a larger group and being transferred to a new tank it will also be less active, more shy and less likely to eat. The bigger they are the longer they take to settle in. I'd suggest you add some coral or shell to the filter of the quarantine tank to help slowly bring the water closer to that of your main tank so its less of a shock when you transfer it over.

So today bought a medium sized clown loach from HF mt roskill, have him in quarantine tank, as i am not happy in the fishes behaviour/look but alas since i am new to owning Clown loaches.

he isn't very active and is slumping to one side, is this common or what could be wrong? :-?

I tested my quarantine tank, PH 6.5, no ammonia/nitrate/nitrite. 26c Temp.

It's normal behaviour, especially if not in a school. The activeness between a lone clown loach and a school (10 or so) is vast. If he doesn't have any physical symptoms and eats well, i would move him in with others.

Take your time acclimatizing though, and as DavidR said, close a gap on the PH if there is one (So acclimatization goes smoother).

Feed him solid food (NLS/Hikari/Frozens) and he'll be aight.

Also for your quarantine tank is there a cave for him to hide in if stressed?

Yeah just the one as someone bought all the others ones on Thursday they said, i knew i should have bought them that day :(

Bought scored myself 3 of the Synodontis multipunctata from Sunbird73 today, so really happy they are so awesome :happy2:

Which i think has vastly helped my frontosa too, as with all the cats swimming around, they aren't any where as nervous as they were. :happy1:

That's a relief was worried he wasn't going to make it, yeah diffently going to transfer him tomorrow morning.

Cool thanks David R, will add the coral to the filter to his tank.

@ Windsparrow - Yeah i have two terracotta pots and a hollow log in there for him to hide. Haven't put the lights on either so not to freak him out.

Thanks for all the responses 8)