Gourami for my tank?

Sophia

Just thinking about what I will have next when my killies have gone to new homes... :dunno: I have always thought gourami were interesting and the dwarf have great colours. Could I have a pair of dwarf gourami or a pair/some sparkling gourami in my 33L planted tank? If I had them they would get a few dither fish as companions and/or an otto or 2 but the gourami would be the main event. Generally speaking, how would the gourami get on together in a smallish space, and would they breed millions of babies, and how often? I have read that they do have lots of fry so they may not be suitable for my low maintenance situation, I only have 1 and a half grow out tanks.

thanks

I find sparkling gourami incredibly shy, you'll pretty much never see them. They are also quite aggressive. I had 3 in a 25L tank, and they nipped each other a fair bit, one of them then got sick and died from the injuries. I would not recommend keeping too many gouramis in a small tank, as I'm pretty sure that most other types of gourami are just as aggressive. If the tanks is well planted, with lots of tall plants, you may be able to keep a pair of dwarf gourami, but I'd definately recommend tall rather bushy plants that would break the line of sight, as gouramis like to swim at the top quite often. I would vote for a dwarf gourami over a sparkling one though, they seem a lot less shy from what I've seen, and even my 25L tank looks incredibly empty with just to sparkling gourami.

I would disagree, just the nature of those individual fish, as I have honey gouramis ( and most others) and they are all peaceful ( unless breeding, then males can get a bit aggressive but not to bad) I would recommed honey dwarfs as they have nice colour and aren't shy

Btw, just to clarify, I don't think gouramis in general are shy, just that I find the sparkling gouramis to be shy, nor do I find gouramis in general to be incredibly aggressive. Despite my experience with sparkling gouramis, I still think they're not nearly as bad as bettas for example, but I do think most gouramis aren't completely mellow either, I agree that there are individual differences though. 2 gourami isn't a huge number for a 33L tank or anything, but I just meant I'd be careful all the same.

i have none basicaly, (couple of peices of java fern) they are in my 3ft and cos i dont have any other fish besides cories and bistlenose, i have about 10 -15 in tht tank and they are fine together,so id say a pair in your tank would be fine , and i dont think they would breed unless you condition them up, and is they did unless you remove them the fry would be eaten

Fishy when you say condition them do you mean to feed them well? My fish get a variety of live food in the afternoon and usually a small dry food snack for breakfast. I think my fish have a good life, if not a bit spoilt and overfed. Does your group of gourami breed at all?

Fishy when you say condition them do you mean to feed them well? My fish get a variety of live food in the afternoon and usually a small dry food snack for breakfast. I think my fish have a good life, if not a bit spoilt and overfed. Does your group of gourami breed at all?

That diet is part of why your killies did so well :D

I used to keep a trio of honey gourami's in a small fully planted tank, and had mixed results.

I've found that there will usually always be 1 dominant gourami who will chase the other ones around. After a while, one died off because it kept being chased around by the other 2. With the 2 remaining, the male continued doing its aggression thing, however they eventually bred together, but it never got past that as there was too much surface movement in the tank and the eggs dispersed and disappeared.

So, I'd say you'd be ok keeping a pair, but do be wary and have lots of hiding places etc.