A little help for the new gal? please?

LordOfTheRings

Hey people. How ya doin?

OK, here's the thing. I scored me a tank the other day. It's 2ft x 15in x 1ft or somewhere there abouts.

I haven't any clue about what I could put in it or how many or how large or anything. I did see a cute little goldfish with one eye in a pet shop which i wouldn't mind having. What else could I put in with it? and how many?

And what planty stuff could I stick in there? Do I need a particular kind of plant if I'm gunna have different kinds of fish? Do I need any plant at all?

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers. :wink: <- Isn't that just the cutest little smiley thing? Aww!

Hey there,

Um, that's a bigger question than you realize....

I'm a newbie myself, so I'm not particularly qualified to answer, but that won't stop me trying.

It depends on what level of commitment you want. Keeping tropical fish (as opposed to coldwater fish like goldfish) is by no means hard (by all accounts), but it does help to have a little bit of knowledge, and the requisite gear.

Do you have a filter? A light? A heater? Are you prepared to buy them if you don't? The answer to these questions effects the answer to your question.

The 'secret' to keeping fish (from what I can tell) is keeping good water. If the temperature, acidity, and all the levels are 'good' (ie. appropriate to the fish you have), the fish will be happy. The filter is pretty important, not just to remove the big bits of gunk from the water, but to house good bacteria that eat the nasty fish-killing chemicals that build up over time.

Plants can be real or plastic, whichever you prefer. Some plants grow easier than others (real plants grow better than plastic), and some plants die easier than others (real plants die easier than plastic). If you like real plants, then it's like keeping fish. Keep good water/conditions for the plants you like, and they should do okay. Just make sure you get plants (and fish) that are appropriate to your level of interest. Plants need light though, so if you want real plants, you may have to get one if you don't have one already.

This is turning into a crap post, and is making it sound hard... :roll:

It's like anything. You can take it as seriously as you want, and there's always a new level of challenge and reward if you want to take it on.

I'll let other more qualified people go into more detail, but to me, the answer to your q is "Depends..."

Depends on;

-Type of fish you like.

-What gear you've got/are prepared to get.

-How seriously you want to take it. (eg. Marine Aquariums need more attention/learning than fresh-coldwater aquariums.)

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Brian ;)

Funkytown is on the right track.

If you are a complete novice and wish to spend as little as possible then I would recommend that you start off with 'coldwater' goldfish'

and some live plants. looks better and don't have to worry much about them getting dirty :)

Step one

Cycle the Tank

This involves filling your fishtank with water and placing a couple hardy fish (comets, fantails, white cloud mountain minnows etc...cheaper the better) in it to get the good bacteria growing. this would take about a week. be patient and don't put in too many fish or they could all die.

Step two

Add fish

Go to your local fish shop:

Decor Pets - Civic Court, Napier Opposite the Library

Animalz - Taradale Rd, Onekawa

Taradale Pets - Taradale

With your size tank I would recommend that you have ony around 6 fishes.

Have a look a the different types of coldwater fishes to see what you like and purchase only a few at a time (ie 2-3 per week)

Take your purchase home and float the whole bag on top of the water for around 1/2 hour and then release into your fish tank

step 3

Maintenance

Most of us would suggest that you change around 20% of water on a weekly basis just to get things like amonia, nitrites and phosphates to an acceptable level.

another time to change water is when the fish look a bit sick.

Equipment required.

Filter

cheap ones are air driven filters

Medium priced internal filters

more expensive ones are hang on backs and canister filters.

Gravel

Enough to cover the bottom of the tank 1inch thick if you want to grow live plants.

Plants

Optional. anything you like the look of will do.

Lights

Optional. If you wan to see it in the evening then get one otherwise you dont need it.

Placement of tank Away from direct sunlight or you will have problems with algae growth.

No doubt others will also provide good advice or correct me where I have gone wrong. either way the most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the challenge of keeping fish.

If you have questions just ask them and we will help the best we can.

Cheers

Wok

Brian said:

This is turning into a crap post, and is making it sound hard...

Far from it Brian... I think you explained the situation very well :)

Hi Lord of the rings (LOTR)

Welcome to the mysteries of fishkeeping LOTR.

You also ask:

I haven't any clue about what I could put in it or how many or how large or anything. I did see a cute little goldfish with one eye in a pet shop which i wouldn't mind having. What else could I put in with it? and how many?

Goldies are pretty cute in most cases, and a good starting point for most people. The two footer you have would be fine for a couple of three to four inch (75-100mm) goldfish... or even perhaps three if you had some filtration and air supply. Problem here is that they grow pretty quick, and will soon be pushed for space if you overstock.

Goldfish (compared to tropical fish).. are pretty messy.. in other words, they produce more waste.. are messier eaters.. and tend to rip most plants to bits if they get a bit hungry or bored.

The one eyed fish you have seen may be fine... as many fish live long lives with only one eye, but they are at a disadvantage when other fish are around, both from a security point of view, and being first at the meal table :)

If the eye loss was recent, it may also become infected later, which could cause you and your family a lot of grief if you become attached to it... so you have to be prepared to accept this... as you will possibly have fish losses down the line at some stage.

Much of what you ask can be found among these pages, but there's lots of help here if you have probs. :)

Think hard before you decide... do lots of reading and question asking in the right places, and when you have all the answers.. ask more questions :)

All the best. :)

Well...

I have a thingy that blows bubbles. Not sure what it's purpose is, but I do have one. and a have a thing with a big tube and a little tube. I think it's sposed to remove crap from the tank. Not sure how though. I have a cute little magnetic thing that's scraped along the sides to clean stuff off the inside of the tank.I have 3 plastic plants, 2 bottles of Stress Coat and a bottle of Accu-Clear. I don't have a light or heater. I'm flat broke so I wouldn't be able to buy anything i don't already have.

I like shiny and/or colourful fish. ugly fish are cool too. I'd like to own fish that are fairly easy to care for, seeing as i'm rather new at this. The 'inch of fish per gallon of water' thing says I could have something like 16 inches of fish. Is that too much for a tank this size?

Cheers

LotR :D

That very much depends on the fish you add. Goldfish are a chunky fish and notoriously messy eaters who poo a lot.

I suggest you take the tank bits along to Julie at Decor Pets (tell her you have been asking questions in here and that Caryl sent you :wink: ) and ask her what they are for. I am sure she will be most helpful.

Thingy that Blows Bubbles:

air pump with air stone - use to create a current and dissolve oxygen into the water

Big Tube connected to small tube

Gravel Cleaner - place the big tube into the tank and syphon water from the small tube. fish crap will come out of the gravel and into the bucket while the gravel will only move around and remain in the tank.

You will definitely required a filter.

Corner Air filter will be your cheapest option at the moment. you can use your airpump to operate it.

Hi ya,

Alway good to see someone else starting a tank for the first time. A cold water tank is a really good place to start (although fresh water tropical isn't difficult but will just cost you a little more). But watch out it is very addictive!

To setup a goldfish tank, and there are also a few other cold water fish you can keep like white cloud mountain minnows, all you really need is the tank and some water! But to be fair to the fish you should at least put in some oxygen weed (which the goldfish will also eat so needs to replaced) and a little filter to clean the water. Plus some gravel makes the whole tank look nicer.

There are many types of filter which start off really cheap ($20 or even less) basically the filter converts fish pooh to plant food! The cheapest are air driven, but I would recomend a ' in tank filter' which is the next cheapest because the air driven ones tend to make alot of noise and will drive you nuts.

When you set the tank up make sure you put it onto a sheet of polystyrene (or similar), if you dont you will risk cracking the glass when you put the water in. Put in your gravel (but wash it in a bucket first or the water will go very cloudy) then just fill it up with tap water. Add the pump and plants etc. It's likely that the water will go cloudy for a while even through you cleaned the gravel, dont worry it will go clear.

You MUST then leave the tank for a couple of weeks, this is to allow the water to get rid of the chlorine and for your filter to start working, then you can add 1 fish, wait a few weeks then you can add more, you need to let the tank start working (complete cycling) before you put in too many fish.

Once the tank is going you need to change some water every week or two, for that size tank just a bucket of water will be heaps, again tap water is fine as long as it doesn't have too much chlorine in it (you will be able to smell it if it does), if it does smell just leave it to sit in the bucket over night.

Once every month or two you will also need to rinse you filter out, do this in the tank water you have just taken out of the tank so you don't kill all the bactria in it that keeps you water clean.

If all this sounds complicated, just ask if someone locally will help you out, fish people are mostly really friendly and some one would proberly go to your place and set it all up for you. Maybe even give you some plants and other stuff.

Good luck