DIY Sump

Joshlikesfish

Whats they polystyrene for?? IMO you'd be better off using plastic bins unless you're going for something big. I considered all sorts of DIY options for my big tank and TBH with the price Greg charged for my glass one its hardly worth messing about to make something less than ideal.

Could I use plywood and polystyrene to make a small sump? My friend that is designing my betta barracks plans to do it that way and i'm making sure its alright

Yeah, but you'd probably need to fiberglass the inside of it or carpet it and use pond liner. There's really no point when you can buy secondhand tanks for pretty cheap on trademe.

this is for that school project isnt it? if you have a limited budget you dont want to be playing around with nsealers or resins(not to mention it being messy)

perhaps someone in your area would like to show your friend how to cut glass as its quite cheap (compared to perspex) someone may even donate some unwanted glass for the project . or cut and glue plastic salvaged from something else got to be easier and more professional looking than trying to seal polystyrene

It needs to be custom built and made by him.

Polystyrene would be to make it waterproof, his teachers reckon its alright but I want to double check.

Polystyrene won't make it waterproof, maybe teacher means polythene?

Could have a ctack at making it from glass, with a decent cutter and set square it shouldn't be too hard to cut, then silicone it up. How big are we talking here? Design?

He is already making containers so he can have a crack at the sump.

The budget is limited to what I can fork out.

Off the top of my head the sump is 70ish long 30ish wide and around 40 high. Also has to build a waterproof lid etc etc. Will get him to rethink his design tomorrow