INFO ON ANEMONE PLEASE!

cracker

Very interesting subject Brian. There is more to these fascinating creatures than most of us know.

In fact, many of them are either male or female, and may reproduce sexually.

I know a lot of people won't know or believe that, so before I get flamed, I quote:- "host anemones appear to have separate sexes, with an individual being either male or female its entire life. "

From http://biodiversity.uno.edu/ebooks/intro.html

Dr. Daphne G. Fautin considered a world foremost expert on anemones. Anything you see authored by her will be worth a read.

Now, if I could just tell - Is it a boy, or is it a girl? Hmmm...

Just wonder about those various ich remedies you added, anemones can be very sensitive to that.

How about if you can, a couple of big waterchanges, (30% or so) , and run a good quantity of carbon. Are there any nearby corals that can touch it?

Also, LTA's prefer a salinity around 1.025, lower is not so good for them.

this is a great read

http://www.athiel.com/lib/questions/anemone.htm

The survey from volunteers showed that

45% of anemones kept by hobbyists with less than 2 years of marine aquarium keeping experience were dead after an average of 3 months.

Those hobbyists with 2-5 years experience were not a lot more successful with 30% of the anemones dying in an average of 7 months. Only 5% of those surveyed with 2-5 years experience had kept their anemone for two years or more.

Even among hobbyists with more than 5 years experience, 36% of anemones kept were dead after an average of 8 months.

One in 6 anemones in the survey reached the 24 months in captivity milestone.

Only one out of every 13 anemones in the survey had been in captivity for 3 years or more.

One in every 32 reached 5 years in captivity.

But let me cease with the gloom and doom and highlight the very positive: 4.7% of the anemones in the survey were asexually "reproducing." They are Entacmaea quadricolor species. Historically it has been left to marine hobbyists to learn how to culture ornamental marine animals for scientists are not adequately funded to develop the process for us.

keeping it in perspective,... you forgot to post:

Following are the results of an anemone survey conducted by Joyce Wilkerson, from a Usenet post by Rick Martin dated 9/14/96.

thats 9 years ago, alot has changed in reef keeping even since then. additionally:

Sources of Additional Information:

Fautin, Daphne & Gerald Allen. 1992. Field Guide to Anemonefishes and their Host Sea Anemones ISBN 0 7309 5216 9.

Shick, J. Malcolm. 1991. A Functional Biology of Sea Anemones. Chapman & Hall. ISBN 0 412 33150 0.

Anemone Surveys Contributed by INTERNET users.

personally, i have only been in the hobby coming up to 1 year and have had my anemone 5 months without ANY problems. however, to add some truth to the matter some anemone's are much more difficult to keep than others - i opted for one of the easiest to keep (bta) and purely purchased to keep my clowns happy :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.......

The Anemone is........

ALIVE and Well again. I must be doing something right.

She is all good and starting to expand and look normal again.

Lost a bit of colour, but should darken up shortly I would say.

DO NOT USE "MELAFIX" IN A REEF TANK WITH ANEMONES. THEY SUFFER TERRIBLY.

PHOTO SOON.....