Any experts interested in Short-jaw Kokopu?

Galaxiid

I am looking for someone who is interested in Shortjaw Kokopu populations.

I have contacted DoC about a small population I have found in Mangawhai. As far as I can tell they are not "supposed" to be living there. The really interesting thing about them is that the river system that they are in doesn't run to the east coast but instead runs into the Kaipara harbour. DoC unfortunately never got back to me about it and this was more than a year ago.

I must admit I am a little worried about them as they don't live in a river system that is really Shortjaw friendly, as it runs through open farmland and the local council has seen fit to irrigate a farm with sewage from Mangawhai, the run off from which goes straight into this same system. If anyone has any ideas of who I could get in contact with so they can get surveyed or something can you post something here?

I also have pictures if anyone is interested. I am really sure that they are in fact Shortjaw Kokopu.

Post those pics, always good to see more kokopu. Stella should be along soon to pass comment on the fish, and who to contact...

This past week I have found a good population of shortjaws, spotted about 12 in a 300m of stream, sized from 10cm to well over 20cm.

Have PM'ed you some good people that may be able to help, but more in a way of direct you to someone more local. if anyone DOES know someone more local, PM the details also! :)

And please show us the photos :bounce: Actually it is COMPULSORY to share all your native fish photos here ;)

actually, one of the most valuable things you could do is get the site into the The New Zealand Freshwater Fish Database: http://www.niwa.co.nz/our-services/data ... h-database

This is a valuable resource for scientists and councils, and I am told councils use it a lot to gauge whether changes to a stream would impact threatened species.

Ok so I haven't actually got stuck in and figured out how to do it myself :oops: :oops: :oops: you do need to register and I think download a piece of software to put the information in, but once it is done it is then recorded in the database forever, and is thus accessible to more than just the contact you find to tell.

This past week I have found a good population of shortjaws, spotted about 12 in a 300m of stream, sized from 10cm to well over 20cm.

blueether: I knew of 3 individuals. Two were large (20cm+), the larger of the two was closer to 25cm, that is the fish in the Youtube clip and in the photos. The other was smaller around 15cm or so. The larger fish were quieter while the smaller one was rather nervous.

Stella: Thanks for the PM, I'll have to flick them an email. I was working on a map and on dates and specific locations of the sightings. Plus the photos.

crazy4crays: I don't think I have any spare, sorry ;)

Youtube clip of Shortjaw Kokopu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArY02SJ_sQA

I tried posting the pictures but I kept getting an error message :facepalm:

Got the photos working, click the thumbnail to get the photo.

th_Pebblebrook-1.jpg

Stream where I kept seeing the kokopu and used to hand feed some large eels. I miss this place so much now I love in the wilds of concrete jungle.

th_shortjaw-side-1.jpg

Bad photo but obviously a shortie ;). Yeah it's in a tank, as soon as I figured out what I had it went straight back.

th_shortjaw-bucket-1.jpg

In the bucket just before release.

th_Mr__Bronze-1.jpg

One of the other inhabitants, over a meter long. Used to feed this eel by hand every so often. It rather liked being rubbed and it became so used to me I actually lifted it out of the water once and it didn't mind a bit. They are so very soft. :love:

• 5 months later...