Ideas for my 1200L tank

Fishie123

Hello Everyone!

I am finally getting my 1200L("220cmX75cmX75cm") tank on Wednesday, hopefully >,,,,<. Now it's time to think of the types of fish I might add to my Arowana tank and the types of lighting and gravel. My idea is Arowana at the top, Discus mid and Plecos at the bottom("May add sterbai corys"). I've got my Arowana and Discus all sorted, but not Plecos :tears:. The theme of the tank is going to be heavily planted. I've recently bought a beautiful Royal Pleco and still alive and healthy Chocolate zebra pleco. I have a couple of question to ask here.

First question is "Gravel",

Should i go for cheap aqua base from Mitre10 ? Or should I buy Fluorite? Which do you think will give my plant a better health?

Second Question"Lighting",

I was doing some research and I came across a "DIY T5 Light for your aquarium fish tank". Requirements, T5 Lights, Tin foil and a container, cost $50. Do you think doing DIY is more effective to make one then getting one from the pet store for $500>?.

Third Question"Plecos"

As I mention before, I have currently 2 Plecos("Royal, Chocolate"). I wanted different variety of plecos. The ones that I am going to hunt for are the Queen Arabesque, Green Phantom, Blue Phantom, Gold nugget and Magnum pleco("Maybe a Zebra Pleco"). How many pleco can I stock in my 1200L tank?

Second Question"Lighting",

I was doing some research and I came across a "DIY T5 Light for your aquarium fish tank". Requirements, T5 Lights, Tin foil and a container, cost $50. Do you think doing DIY is more effective to make one then getting one from the pet store for $500>?.

Would you mind posting a link to this?

1) Fluorite is going to be far better for your plants, but remember your plants will only do well if you have there 3 requirements in balance (light, nutrients, Carbon). There's no point spending $$ on expensive substrate if you skimp on light and CO2

2) Yes you can DIY a better lighting (or at least as good) system as you can buy from a pet store. But not with tinfoil and a container for $50. 750mm is a very deep tank and it's going to take decent strong lighting to get any light to the bottom. Also remember that it is illegal to build your own lighting and your insurance wont cover it if your house burns down, water and mains power don't mix well so unless you really know what you are doing your better to troll trademe for some cheaper second hand lighting.

3) Sorry can't help here.

@tinytawnykitten, I am sorry, I've lost the link.

Sorry, I normally just go on PT&E , so I accidentally posted it in there :(. I've found a few on trademe, but I do not know anything about lighting..... So could you indicate me which on is good?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/Hanging-lights/auction-360174841.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/Hanging-lights/auction-360106703.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/Hanging-lights/auction-359852841.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Building-renovation/Electrical-lighting/Lights/Hanging-lights/auction-359819588.htm

Also I notice they didn't have a reflector?

You need to start looking in the pet area, none of these lights are water proof or even splash proof (accept the last one which is only T8). With your depth of tank personally I'd be looking for a metal halide unit, maybe with a couple of 150w bulbs.

Something like this would be ideal

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Pets-animals/F ... 904247.htm

I agree with Suphew, with a tank that deep you should be looking into metal halide lights. I have 2 150W ones over a 180cm tank so 3 should get a good spread over yours. If you can find shop fitting's and rig them up to a hood/above the tank somehow yourself it will be a lot cheaper than the proper aquarium ones (although they do look nicer).

If you are wanting it to be heavily planted pressurised CO2 will be the way to go. A full setup will cost at least $300, then the amount of ferts you will be dropping into that tank it is best to make your own rather than buying branded stuff. But we can get to that later on down the track when it's set up.

As Suphew says, if you are wanting a nice, heavily planted tank you can't go nuts on one thing ie lighting and skimp on the rest. It will be quite a handful and time-consuming until it's set up and running well.

I think arowana and discus could work, just be careful with the plecos. My arowana does not bother about the convicts at the bottom but somehow he loves to nip at my leopard pleco whenever he gets a chance. Nothing major, but I do often see little tears in my pleco's fins. I don't think the arowana is trying to eat it, but something about the fins must tempt him.. :dunno: Perhaps test the waters (literally) with a cheaper breed of pleco and see how your arowana reacts before dropping in the big money plecos..

Third Question"Plecos"

As I mention before, I have currently 2 Plecos("Royal, Chocolate"). I wanted different variety of plecos. The ones that I am going to hunt for are the Queen Arabesque, Green Phantom, Blue Phantom, Gold nugget and Magnum pleco("Maybe a Zebra Pleco"). How many pleco can I stock in my 1200L tank?

To be honest your wasting your time with those sort of plecs in a tank of that volume, Queen arabs L260 are small and would rarely be seen, Green phantoms L200 are sold quite small (7-10cm) if you can find a larger one it might be worth while but expensive same applies to blue phantoms L128 only finding them at all will be more the issue. Queen gold nugget L177 remain supposedly smaller than the others of the nugget complex also more expensive. Magnum plecs L47 again finding a large specimen is difficult and what is coming in as L47 at the moment is in fact L81 Gold nugget. Snookie had a single magnum 47 for sale at i think 10cm. Zebras great fish and the local bred have proven to be alot less shy than that of the imports but again small and expensive. There is no rule of thumb to the quantity of plecs to your tank as the family being as diverse as it is with fish from 2cm to 100cm, and aggression levels from passive to murderous. I would stick to something like Panaque, Cochliodon, Common Hypostomus, Pterygoplichthys, Glyptoperichthys, etc these fish tend to do alot better in large community like aquaria, where as the others have a need for more close monitoring and feeding. (keeping in mind that both the cochliodon and panaque will require wood to support the digestion and dental structure, and that Panaque should not ingest large amounts of protein).

I quite regularly see my "small" L066's in my 1400L tank, I'm even thinking of adding a few more. I would have thought smaller plecs would be better for a planted set up, I wouldn't want a 14"+ common crashing around in a densely planted tank, I guess it depends on how "planted" the tank will be.

I quite regularly see my "small" L066's in my 1400L tank, I'm even thinking of adding a few more. I would have thought smaller plecs would be better for a planted set up, I wouldn't want a 14"+ common crashing around in a densely planted tank, I guess it depends on how "planted" the tank will be.

Missed the planted bit :facepalm: :oops: as David said small preferably carnivorous plecs would suite that setup, wont effect plants and will very easily feed on the same diet as the arowana and discus.