New 3300L/hour powerheads

dogmatix

I haven't heard anything bad, like the usual rio pumps exploding and leaking crap, but I have heard that they are no comparison to Streams. They would be good for smaller tanks/nanos, but for the big tanks, streams are the better option.

Reefcentral has reports of people moving from streams to these and were extremely dissapointed. But still good for smaller tanks.

Layton

there is a very good post on reefcentral about why the streams are expensive... from a tunze guy, they did heaps of testing and found lots of motors just not up the the load over the longer haul....

also issues with the shaft, its support etc......

it was well argued and sounded valid, can't imagine an ehiem version would be that much cheaper if it was directly comparable to the tunze unit.

Keep in mind that for 12000 litres an hour would tank 4x Ehiem 1262s and consume 4x as much power, so given that, maybee they are not that expensive?

Kind of hard to compare like that, they are quite different concepts, propeller vs. impeller, propeller in always going to be more efficient.

But yeah, there has to be a decent amount of R'n'D go into making a product like streams, the pumps have to be contollable, and not rattle like hell over their power range, also the motors have to be very reliable.

Layton

so far the reefcentral DIYers have managed to get about 1-2 years out of cheap powerhead homemade jobs.... If you love DIY and are not concerned about pumps cutting out (i guess you could have a few spares in the cupboard) then at about US$30 per homemade they do seems to move a lot of water around.....

I think there is a LOT to be said for the wave motion that controlled tunze streams seem to produce.

• 3 weeks later...

The pumps arrived, bro bought them over just in time for my wedding.

But really i just wanted him to bring me stuff over here :wink: .

The pumps are kick arse, everything i could have imagined and then some. Now just have to see how they last but for $55 bucks cant complain.

Got some cyclopeeze too, man it stinks

Keep you posted

Ben

• 3 weeks later...