leaky silicone: To patch or replace?

steikheigel

Hey all

I've just had a hand-me-down tank left on my doorstep (cool prezzie!)

it's rather bigger than what i really need but has so much wonderful potential. I have grand plans for a future frog home - but first it needs some mending.

It has a couple of leaks at one end which need dealing to before I put anything in it. While the silicone seems pretty old, and a bit rough round the edges it still does the job, mostly.

I have a tube of aquarium safe silicone seal and could patch the holes - but is it better to scrape off the old and re-stick the whole tank?

I've never done anything like this before, it seems big but possible (will have to dig up some tank building threads, and prob buy some more silicone).

patching would be easier, but which is better??

oh, the tank dimensions are approx 82cm long x 38cm deep x 55cm tall

Just had another look (ie cleaning), it seems the leaks are only in the bottom seal, could i remove and replace just the bottom edges (ie around the whole bottom panel)?

or is that just excessively complicated?

Bare minimum would be scrape off and replace the leaky bits, don't try and stick new silicone over the old stuff it wont really work..

To do a descent job the whole tank should be pulled down and redone, slicone only has a fixed life and if it has broken down and started to leak in one place then it will only continue to do so. You may get lucky though, it just depends where the tank is used, I have mine in an outside fishroom where it doesn't matter if it leaks so I just do quick patch up jobs (and I am yet to have one let go) but if it was in the house or somewhere not designed to take water leakage then I would do it properly.

I've finally got time t have a go at it and i realize, i don't actually know how to silicone a tank together

Have had a look at previous posts but still a little lost

Do i put a line on silicone along an edge i want to join , then squish it into place? or do i tape the tank together (on the outside) and lay a bead of silicone along each edge on the inside, pushing it into the corner and smoothing it out as I go??

And how much silicone will i need? is one tube enough, or are more likely to be required??

• 2 weeks later...