safe to put cories in with fry

dennis

Derek is it safe to put cories in with fry

do they not eat them???????

The simple answer is YES and NO. As a general rule though, I would never put cories in a breeding tank when eggs or very young fry are present.

Some cory species such as Corydoras aeneus the Bronze catfish will eat their own eggs and fry and some species such as Corydoras pygmaeus the Pygmy cory tend to leave them alone. So the first consideration is which cory you are talking about. Even within a species some individuals are worse egg/fry eaters than others.

If you are talking about cories in with the fry of other species you really have to apply a bit of common sense. Are the fry at a size that the cories could eat them? The situation I mentioned above of mixing WCMM and Corydoras aeneus was at a stage when the WCMM fry had gotten to a reasonable size and I was feeding them alot to try and get good growth rates. Other things to consider are the behaviour of the fry, for example, do they sleep on the bottom or stay near the surface?

I think Cees once told me that if young cory fry are raised with Guppy fry they do not associate them with food and these cories can continue to be kept in a tank with young fry. I've never tried it out so I'm not sure how accurate that is. Perhaps Cees can say if this BS or not.