TL450 Boyu Marine tank ... OVERHEATING

fraserd

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a nano marine tank (approx 1 week ago) and I am having some I am having some major problems with heating in the tank.

Its getting too hot, on average its 29 Celsius and it goes up to 31-32

during the day. I have tried everything to cool it down.

I've tried:

-taking all the pumps out and then tested them individually in a

separate tank to see if one was over heating,

-turning the lights off

- leaving the entire top open all day and night (as well as trying to

leave just the flap at the front open)

-taking the thermostat out (it is still currently out)

-moving the tank to other areas of the house, on difference surfaces,

out of direct sun light etc..

Basically I have tired all I can think of.

Can someone please help? I have looked all over the internet for solutions BUT no one has really offered anything

The room temp is around 21-23 so not more than the tank. do anyone out their have a cheap chiller? maybe that would be my only effective solution.

Its weird I must add my flastmate has a tank in the same room (its huge 1300cm long 800cm high 600cm wide) it is fresh water (where as mine is Salt/marine) and his is always consistent at 26 (his thermometer is set at 26) and he doesn't have a chiller or anything... it is because mine is a smaller tank (40.3 cm Long 48.4cm wide 46.0cm High) or because my tank is marine/salt?

from here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51052

Anything on your tank will add heat to it to some degree or another. A powerhead in your tank drawing 5 watts will add 2-3 watts worth of kinetic energy to the water and 2-3 watts of waste heat. The moving water then loses that kinetic energy as friction against the walls and contents of the tank creating heat.

The filter draws maybe 30 watts, the heat you feel touching the top is the waste heat that ISN'T being added tank water to cool it. That usually ends up heating the room air not so much the tank.

Lights depends on what you have but assuming moderate lighting maybe 100 watts. Every little watt of light that goes into the tank and gets absorbed rather than reflected adds heat. If you have a hood with the ballasts and lights in it then you're holding in most of the 40-50 watts of waste heat from the tubes and ballasts. That heats up the air in the top of the tank and through that heats the water. It doesn't take much to raise the temp a couple degrees above ambient.

Thanks so much for help me with this! its been concerning me quite a bit, I don't want to have an unreliable tank. I think the most sensible solution would be to get a water chiller?

do you know where I can pick up a cheap one? (do you have any expirence with chillers? i.e. what brand is good, what to look for etc) I have plans in a year to upgrade my tank to a 150 liter so I guess planning ahead by getting a chiller that will suit that would be sensible.