Snails for fish tanks

Pintomad

Ok, time for some pics:

snail-trio.jpg

Ramshorn - don't eat live plants, grow up to approx 15mm in tropical, bigger in coldwater, come in red and brown colourways.

snails-02.jpg

Physa sp. - don't eat live plants, grow to approx 7mm, shells go black if grown in a bucket outside.

flat-snail.jpg

The flat one - can't remember the name, possibly Planorbis or Helisoma sp. Don't eat plants, grow up to 5mm, breeds prolifically.

I have Malaysian Trumpet snails, but no pic of them, so someone else can post a pic.

Others are Apple snails and Blue Mystery snails, some kind person can post those as well, along with some info about them.

Apple snails will monster your plants, the best bet are mystery snails. In New Zealand I have seen brown and blue ones they get to about the size of a golf ball don't eat plants and you have to have one of each sex for them to breed, unlike most other snails so they normally don't take over your tank.

If you ever want ramshorn snails I think Allister has some in his tanks. Apple snails are cool though. I have two at the moment but want more, I keep them in coldwater with minnows outside and they're growing so fast! They go mental over watersprite if you have any, it's like a drug for snails I think. :roll:

P.S - you can come guppy fishing any time you're down this way. Out of control! :lol: