How to filter sea water?

Zayne

Im no expert here, but perhaps using a bit of NZ ingenuity, get some filter sponge, 3 x 99c buckets, drill holes in bottom of one, place filter sponge/wool in this bucket, pack it into bottom, whilst getting someone to hold this bucket above an empty 2nd bucket, pour the 3rd bucket full of your dirty water through the "filter bucket", viola....cleaner water for around $5?? Reusable in some way albeit.

:D

i have got some saltwater from the beach but its really dirty, how can i filter this? thanks

just to clear it in my head what do you mean clean? clear water right?

why was it dirty in the first place?

stirred up sediment ?

if so sponges will only filter out so much, there will still be impurities in it

Can you collect it from somewhere where the water is deeper and there is no surf?

By clean I mean no visible bits floating around in it and the water appears clear if you put it in a glass and hold it up to the light.

If you just want to get rid of the sediment in the bottom, you can try decanting it a few times, letting it settle between each transfer, be careful not to disturb the stuff in the bottom. This means you get quite a bit of wastage because you have to leave quite a bit of water in the bottom of each container as you transfer it.

Just out of curiosity, what are you going to do with it?

I collect 400L at a time and it does not matter if it is a bit dirty.

I just let it sit for one or two days and it is clear as.

That's what happens in nature, calm days settle out the sediment.

Draw off water just above bottom of barrels - no problem.